Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been through the archives and thought I was prepared to fix this thing but alas, I give in. I bought this car completly disassembled and am nearly finished with the restoration. Everything on the front works fine. My problem is in the rear. I have taillights in the rear and nothing else (except RS backup lights work) I had one side brake light for a while now nothing. Directionals don't work on either side. Here is what I have done. Clean the rear center ground at the trunk lock. Cleaned the frame to firewall ground. Took out the cluster and added suplimental ground wire. I have power at the brakelight switch and it operates as it should. I changed both flashers with 552 heavy duty(hazzard lights dont blink, just stay on -front-only). Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Re: AT Whits End: 68 no brake/directional lights in rear

Scott....

Turn the lights on, then turn the key on and put a directional on. See if anything lights up or goes out. Turn off the directional and pull the hazard flasher. Open the trunk and play with the sockets being sure that they are getting a good ground. While you are there..check to be sure you have a 1157 bulb( dual filament) and not a 1156 (single filament) in the socket !

Kev

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

No change. I put all new 1157s in all 4, and they can only go in one way. I cleaned all the sockets and housings. I noticed at times I will get the pass side brake light to come on when I first turn the lights on and then it goes out. I have the switch off the petal right now so the brake lights should be on all the time. I also seem to get some slight flickering on the taillights when they are on. Must be a ground but can't seem to figure out which one it could be. I also took the z-ground off the cluster and cleaned both ends to no avail. Is there a separate ground for the column somewhere? It should be grounded from the bolts to the dash I would asume.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

VICTORY!!!!!! Turns out it was corosion on the main column plug. Cleaned all the terminals and all works great. Except for.....wait for it....ya, I still don't have and hazzards. Lights will just stay on when I push in the switch.

·
Super Moderator
32,611 Posts

Insert a 552 flasher in the fuse panel.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I already put one in. I changed both flashers to 552. Still doesn't work

·
Super Moderator
32,611 Posts
With brake switch on, turn signal in off position, brake lights should come on.
If not, check power at rear socket contacts.
If power is present, check ground path.
Ground path is from bulb base to socket to bezel and through bezel nuts to tail panel.
No path, no light(s).
You might have to run a ground jumper from bezel to gas filler screw pass side to ground bezel.

If no power to lights from column, then check in/out at steering column connector.
There is a body connector behind the drvr kick panel, or maybe just above it, to jumper power to the offending rear light to check the circuit from there to the rear, light on, good circuit.
Same method with hazard light switch.
What goes in, must come out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts