Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I recently had a problem with Holley screw in plastic sight plugs. Fuel sold in some parts of the country may cause a deterioration of the plastic sight plugs. It seems that over a short time they tend to get foggy and you can't see through them, then the threaded area bloats up and they pop out. The plug turns into a jelly like rubber. This could easily cause a fire. I've been in contact with Holley and they are working towards a fix. If anyone experiences a problem with the plastic sight plugs (they come standard with Street Avengers) Please contact Holley. [email protected]
They need help nailing this down and want to correct the problem asap. They would welcome any information you have to offer if you have had this problem.
Regards
Jim

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
I replaced the clear ones I was using in my 780 with the orig brass ones for the same reason. I have an Avenger I am currently using and was going to replace the clear ones in it also but was told they are pressed in not screwed in and the bowls don't have threads in them. Physically the Avenger plugs look different too and I wasn't going to attempt to remove them after hearing they were pressed in...

Keep us posted if you hear any more from Holley...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jim, good catch! I will take a look at mine this evening. Maybe it would just be better to use the clear plugs to check and adjust the float level, then replace them with the original brass plugs.
Scott

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks for the info. Has anyone told you what types or differences in gas cause the problem? I have had mine in for about a year and they are still as clear as the day I installed them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Unless they changed the design, they're not pressed in, they're threaded.

I found out the hard way when the ratchet slipped out of my hand and just tapped the float bowl window. Snapped it clean off. Imagine my surprise. (Imagine the swearing.)

I'll check the windows tonight and see if it might be a petro-regional issue.

Rick
Amherst NH

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by Scoop69RS-SS:
Unless they changed the design, they're not pressed in, they're threaded.

I found out the hard way when the ratchet slipped out of my hand and just tapped the float bowl window. Snapped it clean off. Imagine my surprise. (Imagine the swearing.)

I'll check the windows tonight and see if it might be a petro-regional issue.

Rick
Amherst NH
Externally the ones on the Avenger carbs look completely different than the over the counter replacements you can buy...

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
remember- the Avenger line is the "no hassle" design that "never needs adjustments". at least that's what the ads said when they came out. as a cost cutting message- and to keep idiots like the average Joe wanna be hot rodder out there from messing with stuff, they added "features" like pressed in sight plugs no doubt made by the lowest bidder- shades of NASA engineering going on here.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The old sight plugs used to break off because the threads were machined to a 90* angle to the back face of the plug. Now they have a radius where the threads meet the back face to prevent them from snapping off in your hand. Moroso supposedly makes a better replacement plug, but don't know for sure?
Jim

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dennis, I can tell you from experience that the Street Avenger sight plugs are indeed pressed in. I have a 670 on the wife's ragtop and couldn't see to adjust the rear float level. I thought that I would remove it and replace the fogged plug, only to find it disintegrate in my hands. I had to carefully tap the fuel bowl and insert a brass replacement.

I will follow up with the email address to Holley and see if they would offer a new rear fuel bowl because of the defect.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Jim,

Mister G (Guy) here on the site off'd an Avenger 670 at my friends shop. It had the plastic screw in site plugs on it but they didn't fit right. The rubber "O" rings were not even seated, looked cross threaded. I tried to turn one by hand and it wouldn't come out. I can only speculate that they were replacements for the orig. as the ones in mine fit flush and are much different. The carb looks brand new otherwise...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never seen the pressed in type, but I have seen two styles of screw in's. The latest ones (I believe)are radiused at the end of the threads where the "O" ring is. The deteriorated swollen plugs appear to be loose until you try to tighten them. Then you realize that the threads are like jelly, and they may break off and fall into the bowl. I've now seen two different carbs with this problem. I had two plugs sitting in a jar full of fuel for a week and there was no softening. I think it's the combonation of heat and fuel that is causing this.
Jim

·
Registered
551 Posts
Jim,

I checked my sight plugs. I have two different types, the slightly domed original Holley in the front and on the rear, a flat topped replacement for the one I snapped off. (Manufacturer unknown)

They are currently both clear but I did not pull either of them to check on the condition of the internal plastic. Leave well enough alone for now.

For some strange reason that I'll never understand, :rolleyes: I saved the broken one in the new replacement package. I now have an example of both so I tossed them into a cup of gas to see what happens.

Any word yet from Holley? Thinking out loud, I'll bet their lawyers won't allow them to say much. (Yes, I'm cynical.)

Rick.

[ 09-03-2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Scoop69RS-SS ]

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope. Haven't heard squat from Holley. I think you may be right about the lawyer thing. The fuel that has been affecting the plugs I've seen is Sunoco 94 Octane with 10% Ethanol. As I mentioned before, I think the plastic on it's own will tolerate the fuel, but put some heat into the equasion and there is a breakdown in the plastic. The only part of the plug that is affected (probably because they fell out or were removed before they had a chance) was the threads. The plastic had the consistency of a gummy bear. When I spoke to the Holley engineer he was genuinely concerned and wanted to solve the problem asap.
NHRA1877 Keep an eye on those plugs. If they show any deterioration, remove them and contact Holley at the e-mail address above. Make sure you can tell them what gas you are using.
Jim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts