Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I looked on your webpage and I was thinking about installing my tach the way you did, because that section was already cut out. Could you let me know how you did that, and what tachometer did you use?
Thanks!

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
I wanted to ask Mikestr a question also. "What is the part bolted to the rear subframe pointing forward from the rear end? It looks like a shock of some sort. (in the rear drum brake picture)

Very Nice Car by the way Mike

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silver69Camaro:
Hey, I looked on your webpage and I was thinking about installing my tach the way you did, because that section was already cut out. Could you let me know how you did that, and what tachometer did you use?
Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silver69Camaro, the tach you see is an Autometer 2 5/8" Sport Comp Tach. I purchased a used Camaro clock assembly, tore it clock and face out of it. This left me with the "shell" that holds the clock in place. I custom cut a hole to make this fit the 2 5/8 tach. ( you can also use a 2 1/16" size, costs a little more and little smaller.) I spent about 30 mins, adjusting and cutting the plastic on the clock bezel to make the tach fit right. Some crazy glue to hold the tach in place on the clock bezel helped as well. As you can see, I did not use the "glass" piece because the tach sticks out past it. All in all it took me 2 hours to put it in. It was a little more difficult because I did not remove my dashpad to do this, otherwise it would be easier.

Just as a note, the tach comes with an external cup/cover and holder for external use BUT I just removed it. I am planning to install an external pill RPM shift light.

I hope this helps a little bit.
Here is the link to the pic.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/20439153/30368125iKUnYddSiR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by idoxlr8:
I wanted to ask Mikestr a question also. "What is the part bolted to the rear subframe pointing forward from the rear end? It looks like a shock of some sort. (in the rear drum brake picture)

Very Nice Car by the way Mike

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the compliment. Sorry , I'm not sure what you are referring to, could you be a little more specific?

Thanks.

Here is the pic http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=20439153&photoID=20705551&security=mEUXWNsgvG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
Mikestr,
In this picture http://community.webshots.com/photo/20439153/20705551mEUXWNsgvG the part that I am refering to is just forward of the backing plate, above the leaf spring, looks like a black cylinder coming out from behind the brake backing plate with a large silver washer&bolt bolting it to the outboard side of the rear subfrme as it angles up to meet the trunk floor.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by idoxlr8:
Mikestr,
In this picture http://community.webshots.com/photo/20439153/20705551mEUXWNsgvG the part that I am refering to is just forward of the backing plate, above the leaf spring, looks like a black cylinder coming out from behind the brake backing plate with a large silver washer&bolt bolting it to the outboard side of the rear subfrme as it angles up to meet the trunk floor.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, yes this is a shock absorber that runs from the outboard of the rear subframe to the top of the rear axle. See pic from a different angle. It's not the best, but I really didn;t want to jack up the car today.
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=20439153&photoID=30894479&security=MVQrFqpjDw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
Mikestr,
I keep getting an error when trying to look at the pictures using your link (not the proper security code as I am not the owner of the Webpictures).

I would like to see how it is mounted to the rear axle if possible. This is an odd set-up for a Camaro, we usually see this on 4X4's.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DjD:
Mike,

The shock isn't a mod I've seen before. Does it correct wheel hop or was there another reason for it?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it controls wheel hop. The shock inhibits the motion that causes wheel hop. Very effective. Once I install my Caltracs, I should have even better traction.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top