Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy a 12 bolt auburn posi carrier for $30.-
It feels solid & there is no give in the axles...It is locked up.
How do you tell if the clucthes are still good in these?
Why arn't they rebuildable?
It looks like you could drill the pin out & rebuild them.
Do they not make replacement parts?
Thanks...Tom

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
If it still feels tight then it might have a few miles left in it. Don't do any burnouts while holding the brake, or any water burnouts. Keep a close eye on the air pressure in the rear tires and be sure that thy have even wear on them. You will probably have to use 2 bottles of GM or Ford limited slip additive with the oil.

The Auburn uses a cone that sits in a cup instead of clutch plates. As the cone and cup wear the cone sinks farther into the cup until it bottoms out. When this happens it will no longer lock up and will act like a standard differential. You can not rebuild it because putting new cones into worn out cups will do no good. The cups are machined into the case and can not be replaced.

Auburn cone and cup

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a visual check?
I have one out of an 8.2 & I can see the sides of the cone (I guess) or a diameter through the "window" where The springs are,but on this 12 bolt there is very little of this diameter visable.
thanks...Tom

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
The Auburn preload plates have a hole in them that the cross shaft goes through. They are designed so that when the cones wear out the preload plates don't contact the axle gears any more. If the preload plates are resting on the cross shaft then the cones are worn out. If you pull the shaft out and it won't go back in then it is worn out.

·
Registered
601 Posts
in my opinion i wouldnt buy it. just remember what the car torque is to your hands are never can match lol. so what feels good to you may not even come close to in car. and slip in car guy is selling it for reason beware

1 - 6 of 6 Posts