Team Camaro Tech banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Welcome to the site Smitty. Just remember, whether a clone or a real Z, you can still have fun with it.
I always hate posting things like this, because I KNOW the OP wants this car to be a legit Z/28.

I don't believe there is ONE documented 302 made at the Tonawanda plant. I have NEVER seen that "Z" on any other original DZ stamp.
Every known original DZ stamp starts with "V" for the Flint plant. Even assuming the "end of model year" story is correct (which I don't believe) a Feb built car is hardly at the end of the model year. Besides, as it has been pointed out, that casting number is NOT one that was ever used on a factory 302. I am not even sure that the 307 block can be bored to 4 inches. Maybe it can, as it has the same bore as on older 283, and most of them built after 1963 can be safely bored to 4".
The transmission was made for a 1968 model year car. Transmissions were stamped with the model year, not the calendar year.
A BS rear is a 3.31 axle which would be standard on an SS in 69. Good news is that it is a posi rear (assuming all the internals are original).

It would have taken a special order to get a 3.31 rear screw in a Z/28. Standard was 3.73, economy was 3.55, and performance was 4.10. Anything else would have been a special order. Something that could be done, but highly unlikely.

An October axle in a Feb car is also highly unlikely.

So far the only thing I see that at least POINTS to it being a Z/28 are the four leaf springs in back. The engine and trans have obviously been swapped from another car. The springs also could have been swapped. Having said all of that, it is still possible that your car started life as a Z/28. Many of the original engines were blown, especially if someone put headers on... because they just keep winding and making power even past redline, all the way to valve float. But, it sure looks like someone went to a lot of trouble to make it look like a Z/28.

I don't know what year you turned 13, so I don't know when your dad bought the car. I will tell you that fake engine stamps were being done even in the 70s.

·
Premium Member
CRG
4,694 Posts
Definitely a 307, that’s why I asked for the casting number.

There are no known DZ blocks assembled at Tonawanda - but I like to look at all of the evidence first. There is no one person that knows everything about these cars.

·
15,100 Posts
The simple answer as to why someone would restamp this block is obvious.

an attempt to deceive potential buyers. Imho

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,690 Posts
Enlarging the pic of the pad stamp I see what may have been an "A" over stamped with "Z".
"DA" was used on 69 Camaro 307 (and others) as Garth said. The "Z" font doesn't look correct either and the spacing is slightly off IMO. Also I don't see any broach marks which indicates the pad was machined or has been sanded/scraped.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
So far the only thing I see that at least POINTS to it being a Z/28 are the four leaf springs in back. The engine and trans have obviously been swapped from another car.
Lynn, the springs are aftermarket generic replacements, not factory. The block itself is probably the original block to his car, just restamped. The transmission and rear axle are not original to his car (and I suspect perhaps the gauges, and specifically the tach aren't original to his car either).

If the DA code is correct as Al thinks (and I can't tell), the car started life as an L14 (307/200) with a manual 3 speed or 4 speed transmission and a 10 bolt rear axle.

Ed

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Yep it looks like the last letter on engine pad stamping was manipulated and made into a Z.
Its a 307 by casting number and I think its the original engine to the car.

I dont think the rear is original and was swapped out for the BS coded 12 bolt. (which isnt a bad thing)
Probably came with a 10 bolt rear.

The 4 speed is not original. Its out of a 1968 model year car.

I think if you want a z28, clone it. You have the right tach plus muncie trans and 12 bolt. The 307 is the weak link here.
Get a 350 block and make a z28 clone out of it.:)

·
15,100 Posts
Get a 350 block and make a z28 clone out of it.:)
Maybe just me. I see a big diff between a "Clone" and A "Tribute". I know a lot of guys interpret the same.

To me a clone is just that. Building with all the features that came on a Z28. 302 solid lifter, winters intake 780 DP, 4 Speed 4 leafs etc.

However, A tribute to me is better and a better description. Can be a Big Cube SBC, OD manual tranny. Add the stipes and badges and it's a tribute that is a much better ride than a clone.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
350 block can be used to make a 302. (y) so clone or Tribute, Take your pick. :)

I would prefer clone then.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts