Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there installed an automatic Hurts or B&M, Quarter stick type shifter in a first gen Camaro and kept the center console?

If so how did you do it to make it look clean and are there any pictures out there?

I have seen them mounted without the center console but not with.

Thanks,
John

------------------
69 RS Convertible Camaro, 350/350. Orignal red with black top and interior.
http://www.ragersworld.com/

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've got the Hurst quarter-stik in my 67 with a console. I didn't have to modify anything except the hole in the floor. The shifter fits using the 4-speed plate. I will post a picture tonight.
Brichead

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks brichead
I look forward to seeing the pic. I have heard that the manual shifter plate should be used but was wondering how the shifter hole is covered.
Thanks again.

------------------
69 RS Convertible Camaro, 350/350. Orignal red with black top and interior.
http://www.ragersworld.com/

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's a pic of my install
I like the idea of not having to chop up my console. But I don't like the way it sticks up so high. So I'm going to a stock auto shifter. One other thing to think about w/the Quarter-stick is that it has a reverse lock-out & it takes two hands to get it into reverse. Not legal in some states, and I've been in a couple of sticky situations where I needed reverse quickly.(almost got backed into in a parking lot) But racing with is is FUN! (as much fun as you can have with an automatic)
Brichead

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/6345a685/bc/brichtures/103-0379_IMG.jpg?bcOdp28AEGkSw3K_

[This message has been edited by brichead (edited 05-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by brichead (edited 05-09-2002).]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allen M:
I had a B&M Quicksilver shifter installed. Le me know if you want a picture.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Allen M,
Please post your pics and/or email them to me at [email protected] .
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have an older B$M Starshifter type in my 69 w/console. It fit well by removing the center plate from the stock shifter plate and cutting a piece of black naugahyde to fill in the gaps around the rubber boot.
I'll send a pic since my HobbyStage site is dead.

Don't know how similar the shifter are, tho'.

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/index.html

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a good pic that was sent to me.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and another:

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Brichead:

Can the shifter part that is exposed be covered by a shift boot? Do you know of any other shifters that will fit in a 67 Console/

Thanks
joe

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Allen M sent me this pic:
B&M Quicksilver shifter on a 67 Console

·
Registered
257 Posts
Joe,
There's not enough room for a boot. Its a very tight fit. If you wanted to cut the shifter plate, it could be done & would probably look a lot better. When I bought my shifter I took the plate to the store with me & tried all of the shifters they had. The quarter-stick was the only one I could find that fit w/o any cutting. But that was 5-6 years ago, there might be something smaller out now? Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's a pic of the B & M Mega Shifter I put in my 67. A little careful measuring and an inexpensive fabrication for a piece of plastic below the boot made it work out pretty well.

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1, Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" Amer. Racing TT2's, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts