Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm building an 88 IROC with the intention of Autocrossing it. At the rate I'm going though, it might be a few years.

Your car looks awesome, how about some details on it?
Thank you, i had the car since 2008, and have been slowly working on it. The wheels are 18" staggered with hankook ventus summer tires (haven't bought slicks yet)
The suspension was redone, poly bushings; swaybars; shocks and springs with a 2" drop.
I just finished the interior with TMI's Deluxe Sport seats that i hope will help keep me in the seat. (i chose these so i can keep the traditional look). I also changed the steering wheel to a 14" billet wheel.
I will put a pic up of the seats.
To Do List?- Tubular control arms; subframe connectors; and quadra-link rear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your working on an IROC? here is a pic of an IROC that makes every event and is super quick through the cones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you, i had the car since 2008, and have been slowly working on it. The wheels are 18" staggered with hankook ventus summer tires (haven't bought slicks yet)
The suspension was redone, poly bushings; swaybars; shocks and springs with a 2" drop.
I just finished the interior with TMI's Deluxe Sport seats that i hope will help keep me in the seat. (i chose these so i can keep the traditional look). I also changed the steering wheel to a 14" billet wheel.
To Do List?- Tubular control arms; subframe connectors; and quadra-link rear.
Here are the Seats i did for a "little" support.....because having only a lap belt isn't the greatest for autocrossing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here are the Seats i did for a "little" support.....because having only a lap belt isn't the greatest for autocrossing.

Just curious...are those the TMI seat covers and foam? I have been looking at making that purchase, now that I have my 69' on rails...the stock seat offers very little assistance in keeping me behind the wheel! If they are what do you think of them? Would you go that route again or go for an aftermarket seat...possibly buckets from a 98-2002 model camaro?

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Just curious...are those the TMI seat covers and foam? I have been looking at making that purchase, now that I have my 69' on rails...the stock seat offers very little assistance in keeping me behind the wheel! If they are what do you think of them? Would you go that route again or go for an aftermarket seat...possibly buckets from a 98-2002 model camaro?
I think he already answered that.

·
15,370 Posts
Would 3-point seat belts be out of the question? I know you want to keep the interior as original looking as possible, and it looks GREAT, but the belts (Morris) really won't look out of place, and coupled with your seats will be a lot more secure.
I'm itching to autocross but I'm lacking proper wheels\tires and shocks right now.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Would 3-point seat belts be out of the question? I know you want to keep the interior as original looking as possible, and it looks GREAT, but the belts (Morris) really won't look out of place, and coupled with your seats will be a lot more secure.
I'm itching to autocross but I'm lacking proper wheels\tires and shocks right now.
I have the Morris 3 point belts and they look and work great on the street (haven't auto-x'd them yet).

Sounds like it's time to add the right wheels/tires/shocks then.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Blueraj,

Where do get a calendar of events? I'm in NNJ but I'm out in LI/Queens alot. I'd like to run my 68 through the cones to see how I do before I redo my suspension setup.

Also do you have manual or power steering?

Plans are for a BMR setup once I do some more research about them (anyone here have any feedback about their torque arm kit - searching now).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the Morris 3 point belts and they look and work great on the street (haven't auto-x'd them yet).

Sounds like it's time to add the right wheels/tires/shocks then.:thumbsup:
Yes i have thought about the three point also. Do you like how it looks? and where does the shoulder belt loop attach to?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blueraj,

Where do get a calendar of events? I'm in NNJ but I'm out in LI/Queens alot. I'd like to run my 68 through the cones to see how I do before I redo my suspension setup.

Also do you have manual or power steering?

Plans are for a BMR setup once I do some more research about them (anyone here have any feedback about their torque arm kit - searching now).
Ok sounds great. i usually attend two the SCCA NYR and the MetroNY Porsche Club of America. The MetroNY PCA have access to TOBAY beach which has a great smooth lot, and huge.
Here is the schedule and location information.
SCCA NYR

METRO NY PCA

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the links!!

I see they have alot of events at Giants stadium which I'm 10 minutes away from. I will definitely make it out to a couple of events.

When is the next event you're going to? I'd like to come out and watch even if I'm not ready to run yet.

Jerry

·
15,370 Posts
Yes i have thought about the three point also. Do you like how it looks? and where does the shoulder belt loop attach to?
The shoulder belt attaches just above the quarter windows. There is a mounting bracket behind the headliner. Finding it can be a pain, but there are threads posted here that detail how and where to find them.
I believe 67\68\69's have that mounting point in slightly different places on the roof. Check this post: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190862&highlight=morris

When I bought mine from Morris, the attachment 'loop' at that bracket above the windows didn't come with a cover for the hardware. Now they've included a plastic trim piece to cover it all and it looks great. Here's a recent post showing them installed: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=204905 and http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190108&highlight=morris

As far as overall looks... you can't beat them. They fit great. But not everyone likes a modern look in their interior.

There's nothing like the feeling of having NEW belts and all NEW hardware securing me to the seat, as opposed to weathered and worn 40 year old fabric holding me in.
The only bitch I have is that the belts hang right across the opening to the back seat when the front seat is pushed forward. And the retracter sticks up, making it tough for anyone to get in the back. Not that there's any room for someone to sit back there anyway. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts