Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine definitely does not idle well cold. I tried increasing the black dial on my 1406 Edy which was initially set all the way lean. After moving it halfway, it got so hot I burned my fingers touching it.

Does this mean its shot?

Does edy sell just these parts if it is?

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Not particularly. Choke heaters do get hot. However, if the plastic melts, then it does get too hot.

Adjusting the choke can only happen when the engine/choke is cold, as in the first start for the day. Finding the sweet spot can be a couple day trial & error setting.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
The black housing only regulates how long the choke remains in a closed/partially closed position. It has nothing to do with the idle directly. There is a fast idle screw just under the choke thermostat that regulates the idle speed when the choke is operating. I would set the thermostat housing to the center or 1 mark to the rich side of center and leave it. After that, with the engine COLD, set the choke and start the engine. Immediately after start up, go to the passenger side and turn the fast idle screw to achieve a fast idle of around 1500rpm. This must be done cold because the oil is thicker and if done hot, a fast idle speed hot will be slower once the engine cools and the oil thickens.

As far as the thermostat housing getting hot, it will get hot, but it should not burn your fingures. Don't get me wrong, it will get hot, but you should be able to place your fingures on it without the skin being physically burned. If this happens, you should double check the positive wire is supplying 12v and nothing more. Also, check the ground is tight and in good condition. Once you set the choke, you should be able to leave it all year. I like to have 2 settings. 1 for winter and 1 for summer. I don't like to have my choke staying closed for a long time when it's 90+* outside. The 1 mark to the rich side of center should be good for winter and 2 or even 3 marks to the lean side of center should work for summer. It all depends on how long you want the choke to operate for in hot weather.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf

i was looking at page 8.

Checked wires. The Black wire is grounded to the front of the carb itself. The power connects to blue wire leading to the Voltage regulator.

Under the thermostat itself, there is a hole. No screw. I do see a fast idle linkage on the drivers side?

Added pics in my link. Many thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
The screw on the drivers sdie only touches when the choke is closed. You can set the speed by rotating the cam while the engine is hot and then turning screw to desired RPM.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts