Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
New to the group and I am in the process of finishing up a project of converting my powerglide trans to a 700r4 in my 68 Camaro. Just wondering if anyone can help me with a diagram on how my console and shifter plate goes back together? I took it apart over a month ago and do not remember 100% how this sandwich goes back together. I would order a catalog, but that is going to take days to arrive and I am hoping to have this project done this weekend.
Thanks in advanced, I am sure this will not be my last question as I get down to the final details.
Duane-

·
Premium Member
12,507 Posts
Great, keep us posted. :nerd:

As recommended reading - You should have a copy of the Assembly Instruction Manual aka AIM in your library as it is really the most useful manual out there, although I like to also recommend the Fisher Body, and the Chevrolet Chassis overhaul manual which covers service and rebuilds of Chevrolet models for that year. These three are the Holy Trinity for Camaro first gen owners and their cars.

The 1968 series of these manuals are available in both digital and printed form. I own both digital and paper. GM owns the copyright and licenses publishers just as HELM once had the contract to publish owners manuals. This is why sites like ours can not offer these free downloads directly as they are a copyright violation under the Digital Millennial Act.

Some of the printed versions are nicely bound others are just reproduced on a copier. I have paper copies of all three manuals for my 69, and with the AIM I have a couple copies of the swap-meet photo copied spiral ring version hanging out at in the garages, used for quick reference in the middle of projects, that I care less about getting grease on the pages. The bound version of the AIM sits in my reference library.

When buying the swap meet variety, in which prices widely range, take a particular page number and look at the various offerings to see the clarity of that page in the copied one you are thinking of buying. Some are so fuzzy the details are lost, but the legal bound published ones can also have a fuzzy page of two but are the best in terms of readability. Prices range from under ten bucks to upper twenties on average, and with swap-meets in general you can bargain on price and use time of day to your advantage, most vendors will part with stuff toward pack-up time in order not to have to drag something back to station H. The professional published and bound versions are priced in the low twenties to mid to upper thirties and can be found at all the usual Camaro on-line parts sites as well as eBay and Amazon.

The digital copies are widely also bootlegged and distributed on-line on various shared resource sited such as Dropbox, Google drives and docs, etc. as either a zip file, or a PDF. A quick search will give you some possible links, some are bandwidth throttled so look early in a given month before the monthly download quota is reached and the link shuts down. One final note on the bootleg version, beware of the versions that are a ZIP or RAR file, it has been noted that they might contain a Trojan Horse virus, so make sure your virus protection is up-to-date and is set to scan all your downloads.

The legal version is currently licensed from GM to Dave Graham Auto Literature Inc. These discs can be purchased at their site, or on eBay and Amazon. Typically the offerings are, either the 67, 68, and 69 AIM's on one disc, or your particular years AIM, Fisher Body, and Chevrolet chassis service manuals. All these official licensed discs contain the manuals in PDF format.

Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for all this great info Brian. I am doing a lot of shopping right now for misc parts to complete my trans swap and I am getting a digital copy of the AIM.
All good stuff to know here, i will be referencing back to your reply as I research things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts