Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to convert their fourth-gen Camaro from an automatic to a manual trans? Anyone have an idea how much one could expect to pay for a new or used transmission, or how long it would take to perform the conversion? I am in the process of purchasing a 1997 RS and am just curious how much time and money I could expect to pay for such a conversion.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I did it in 2003 on an LS1 trans am...there are many websites for LS1 cars out there if you search...not sure all the differences on a V6 Car...GMHTP had a great article about it in their May 2007 issue.

Found a good deal at Hawks Third gen...they palleted up all the parts, down to the Pedals, ECM and slave etc...sounded to me like they had prepared this swap kit many times...they might help.

I am one very slow amatuer wrench turner and I spent 2 weekends on it with help from a buddy the first weekend

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
the swap should be pretty much the exact same for the ls1 as the v6.

you will need the following (off the top of my head)

pilot bushing
slave/master cylinders
clutch/brake pedal assembly
trans crossmember
torque arm (maybe, im not sure if the mounting is different)
flywheel/shifter
connectors for the reverse light, neutral safety switch, and the speed sensor

the best thing is that the 3.8 was used from 1995 i believe, so it should be a lot easier to get parts for it.

if you are serious about the swap, i would consider purchasing a parts car that is a manual, so you dont have to track down a ton of the smaller parts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts