Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of using an OEM fuel gauge between the speedo and tach I want to mount a 2 1/16" Autometer fuel gauge there to free up a slot in my console gauges setup for a trans temp gauge.

Anyone know of a 'pop in' gauge mount for that position or have installed an aftermarket gauge there on their own?

Or is it just as simple as cutting a 2 1/16" hole in the existing blank, mount and go?

Pics? Info?

Thanks,

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found this on the pro touring site. Obviously I at least need the center bezel etc then probably need to fab a plate. Seems someone would have made an adapter to pop in this spot that would accept a 2 1/16" gauge.. Autometer doesn't, that I know.

I have the 5" Autometer speedo/tach but am keeping the factory gauges in mine for now.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If you aren't going to run the Autometer main gauges I'd recommend waiting until Year One has another 30% off code and get the reproduction center fuel gauge and bezel. Glad I did.....

On another note I've got a Sport Comp fuel guage I found in my boxes of junk if anyone needs it.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Thanks Steiner. Since the Autometer gauge is quite a bit smaller than the factory deal I think I'll try it first. If it looks like hell I'll cut the hole bigger for the factory gauge. I priced out what I'll need for the factory gauge and oh man. I already have the autometer gauge on the console just want to move it to make room for a voltmeter.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Thanks Steiner. Since the Autometer gauge is quite a bit smaller than the factory deal I think I'll try it first. If it looks like hell I'll cut the hole bigger for the factory gauge. I priced out what I'll need for the factory gauge and oh man. I already have the autometer gauge on the console just want to move it to make room for a voltmeter.

Yeah, I had a clock already so it just took the gauge and bezel. With 30% off it knocked the gauge down to about $100. I pulled the stock console gauges out and did AutoMeter like you have and bought the fuel gauge (and vacuum, oil pressure, water temp), then decided I'd rather have a wide band. The 30% off helped out a lot.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Been working on this the last couple of days. I used an Autometer "angle ring" as that section of the dash slopes away from the driver. The ring didn't have quite enough angle to it so i enlarged the hole I drilled (2 3/8" holesaw) a little so I could stuff the ring in there off kilter to add a little more angle to it, then glued it in from the back side with JB weld. I can't say I'm crazy about it but I guess it's ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts