Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question, when installing the sender in the block, would you use some kind of sealant on the threads or what would you use. autometer recommends teflon sealing compound on the threads but im alittle nervous because if something was to get into the oil passage way. thanks in advance. robert.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I've used teflon tape...

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I've used teflon tape too, and it's not the right stuff. Bad bad bad, don't.

There is a white teflon sealing goop in a tube, use that.

First clean the threads reall good (including the threads in the block) with laquer thinner.
You might want to have the manifold and distributor on when you screw that big honkin thing in there, too. Some additional fittings may be needed for clearance.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, jimM, do you know what the goop is called or who makes it? i didnt want to use teflon tape and i wasnt sure if i screwed it in without any sealant that it would leak or not. thanks again.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think he is just refering to liquid teflon....kind of like pipe dope, right? Eh, that is what I used after I had a little piece of teflon tape get sucked into my oil pressure sending unit on a different vehicle... fortunately that was the only piece in the system!

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the intake is off, you may want to consider using a 90 degree fitting with an AN end. You can use a braided line to your gage then. You'll have to get the appropriate fitting for the gage, too. Looks cool, alot more heat resistant than the nylon tube. Use the liquid Loctite.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I think he's using an electric gauge since he mentioned sending unit.

If the Autometer sending unit is like mine, it's fairly big and probably won't clear your intake manifold. You can find some 1/8" NPT brass pipe nipples at your parts house and a double female of the same size to raise it up a bit. The problem I had with that was when I had to remove the pipe for whatever reason, Murphy's law prevailed and the double female unscrewed from the pipe, and there was no easy way to remove the short stub of pipe left threaded into the block.

My fix was to clean and flux the pipe and the double female, thread them together, and then solder them (on the bench) just as you would sweat copper plumbing. The double female has hex flats on it and then both pieces can be removed easily with a socket.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
thanks guys, jimM, do you know what the goop is called or who makes it? i didnt want to use teflon tape and i wasnt sure if i screwed it in without any sealant that it would leak or not. thanks again.
The stuff in my "goop drawer" is from Permatex, #14A, says "Thread Sealant with Teflon." (White GOOP ina white tube)

It's right next to the ever popular Permatex 133A "Anti-Sieze lubricant." (Silver GOOP silver goop ina silver tube)

One or the other goes on the threads of pretty much anything I screw into my car.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
As for fittings, theirs lots of stuff as close as your neighborhood Ace Hardware.
This particular fitting is 1/8" National Pipe Thread (NPT) and it's tapered and supposed to be self sealing. (Of course it isn't.)

There will be lots of fittings in brass, cast iron, and black iron. I prefer the iron fittings, they won't strip or break. The brass is really soft.

I found a company on the net once that carves these fitting out of stainless steel billit, mostly bigger stuff, for heaters hoses and such. Really nice peices and worth a mention here.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is a electric gauge w/ the big sending unit, i tried it and its not even close to screwing into the block, so it looks like ill have to get a couple adapters and while im there ill looks for the teflon thread sealant. thanks again for the help. robert.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I prefer the high temp teflon sealer myself. I've used tape on hard to seal fittings. Just make sure not to put it on the first thread.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The kind I buy actually states it's ok with fuels and oil. I couldn't get the suction side of my pump to seal with teflon paste.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I use Permatex #2 non-hardening on any oil or fuel line/gasket that requires sealant. It's rated for flanges, threads, and gaskets that are in contact with fuel, oil, and/or rubber.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts