1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
:noway:

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
That's probably a good idea - folks that have complained have gotten some 'unique' ones, you might end up with the Susan Boyle one if you bug someone :D
Susan Boyle avatar.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
You'll find half-dozen or so of the early members with them - they were give by the site originator Al and a couple by the Mods (when they had control of that type of **** ;) ) after a given funny/wierd/strange/you-get-the-pisture thread that or discussion - some of them are not as ... let's say flattering, as others are.
I wouldn't really call some of them the typical yellow-badge-of-courage some would think they are ;)

Truthfully, I'm tired of all the skulls, rats, road-kill, and other strange 'avs' I see on other sites I visit often - sorta like the clean look here :yes:
And I don't need to see a picture of what they think their girl friend would look like if you had one ...

'Corse - if you gotta have them, there's always the Honda forums - http://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/315273-ricers-suck.html :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll find half-dozen or so of the early members with them - they were give by the site originator Al and a couple by the Mods (when they had control of that type of **** ;) ) after a given funny/wierd/strange/you-get-the-pisture thread that or discussion - some of them are not as ... let's say flattering, as others are.
I wouldn't really call some of them the typical yellow-badge-of-courage some would think they are ;)

Truthfully, I'm tired of all the skulls, rats, road-kill, and other strange 'avs' I see on other sites I visit often - sorta like the clean look here :yes:
And I don't need to see a picture of what they think their girl friend would look like if you had one ...

'Corse - if you gotta have them, there's always the Honda forums - http://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/315273-ricers-suck.html :thumbsup:
Hey John thanks for the info. :thumbsup: I didn't even know what Avatars were until yesterday. I just wanted to know why the option exists and why there is a setting for it in the user CP, even though the customizing function does not work. :noway: I don't want or need a logo, but if it is not a functioning option why not just remove it. :confused: I am sure that some people like the personal touch, myself I can take it or leave it, but if it did work I would have the option to use it. :hurray: Obviously something happened that warranted disabling the customizable funtion. :yes:

I think I'll pass on the Honda forum, but thanks for the offer. :beers:

·
19,792 Posts
Yes, we asked about a few times over the years...I even went as far as saying they had to be approved by the Mods before issue...or had to be your car ?

No big deal IMO....take it or leave it.

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
I just wanted to know why the option exists and why there is a setting for it in the user CP, even though the customizing function does not work. :noway: I don't want or need a logo, but if it is not a functioning option why not just remove it. :confused:
Fair question, the idea of avatars was kicked around back under the former site owner (Al). After much input and even member surveys the decision was no avatars. The moderators were test subjects and goofing around a few members got avatars. Since then the site has come under new ownership. The site is run by a company that owns over 400 websites and hosts forums on each. Unlike when Al owned the site all changes in the forums have to go through a single site contact who sends the request up stream to sit in a queue with requests from the 400 other sites.

Depending on what the request is it often gets over ridden as not necessary or lost in the shuffle. Keep in mind it costs the company to process and put a request into motion. The moderators and I have fought for years the same battle and feel much like Don Quixote fighting with windmills! The company has been through 3 site contacts who all in their own way try to have an effect on the forums but with 400 forums to tend to leave when they realize they are in an impossible place!

It's gotten to the point that the moderators and I stick around for the folks that frequent the forums with hopes some day something will change and the company will hire or assign more employees to look after their websites. Until then we will try to impress on everyone it's the people who visit the forums that make the place what it is and the moderators and I will continue to do what we can to maintain the flavor of this place the way it has always been. Fixing or removing some settings in the UserCP is really insignificant. It took years to get a few forum changes and it's taken months and all the changes have not been finished yet! I hope that explains it...

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fair question, the idea of avatars was kicked around back under the former site owner (Al). After much input and even member surveys the decision was no avatars. The moderators were test subjects and goofing around a few members got avatars. Since then the site has come under new ownership. The site is run by a company that owns over 400 websites and hosts forums on each. Unlike when Al owned the site all changes in the forums have to go through a single site contact who sends the request up stream to sit in a queue with requests from the 400 other sites.

Depending on what the request is it often gets over ridden as not necessary or lost in the shuffle. Keep in mind it costs the company to process and put a request into motion. The moderators and I have fought for years the same battle and feel much like Don Quixote fighting with windmills! The company has been through 3 site contacts who all in their own way try to have an effect on the forums but with 400 forums to tend to leave when they realize they are in an impossible place!

It's gotten to the point that the moderators and I stick around for the folks that frequent the forums with hopes some day something will change and the company will hire or assign more employees to look after their websites. Until then we will try to impress on everyone it's the people who visit the forums that make the place what it is and the moderators and I will continue to do what we can to maintain the flavor of this place the way it has always been. Fixing or removing some settings in the UserCP is really insignificant. It took years to get a few forum changes and it's taken months and all the changes have not been finished yet! I hope that explains it...
Thanks Dennis. Good information to have. I really don't know anything about the site, except I like to hang out here. It all makes sense. Sharing the history and the behind the scenes action gives us a different perspective. And here I was thinking I was special. 400 sites. Yikes! :confused: :sad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts