Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If the outside axle bearings are bad could it cause a vibration. I took off the tires and drums and a vibration comes in around 85mph. Drive shaft is new. In park, no vibration.

How much up and down play should there be in the axle if I grab it and lift up?

PICS, PICS, AT THE BOTTOM, SCROLL DOWN. NEED ADVISE.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine had about 1/8 inch of play so I replaced the bearings. Now they have zero play. Are you tires balanced?
Yes, just got tires balanced. I guess that I'll be replacing bearings soon. Thanks guys.

So this could be where the 80mph roar or vibration could be coming from? It's enough to shake the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
The drive shaft might be new, but if it isn't made for high RPMs it wll still go out of ballance at speed. This is very common with low rear end gears and overdrive transmissions. The drive shaft is fine at lower RPMs, but starts to bow when the RPMs go up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The drive shaft might be new, but if it isn't made for high RPMs it wll still go out of ballance at speed. This is very common with low rear end gears and overdrive transmissions. The drive shaft is fine at lower RPMs, but starts to bow when the RPMs go up.
What BGH is referring to is the critical speed.

I would run a quick calculation on your driveshaft. check out these links which have a detailed explanation.

http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?cvsp~Decrits~

http://www.markwilliams.com/driveshafttech.aspx

If thats not it, just be sure it's balanced

Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the axel has any ware replace it or get the repair bearing (puts the bearing on a new spot)
Thanks for this. The parts man said he had "repair bearings" but I didn't know what they were so I got the regular ones. When I pull the axles I will check for wear.

If I remember, the last time that I pulled the axles they did have some ruff spots on them (toms K.A. axles). I thought that this was unusual because the original ones looked great. I will post a pic and let yall decide if I need the repair ones. thanks

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are a few pics that I just took. You can "feel" the wear with your finger nail. I think that I'll get the repair bearings just in case. Do yall think that I should?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have found the repair bearings,aka "axle savers", will almost always leak or seep gear oil. If the axle is worn buy a new axle.
Could either of your axles be bent, possibly the wheel? Is the flange and wheel clean at their mating surfaces?
I had a vibration in my 68 rs at about 70mph. I had the tires balanced 3 times, the drive shaft rebuilt, and balanced. I sent back the shaft again for balancing. All this with no change in the vibration.
I pulled apart the rear end, found nothing. When reinstalling the rear tire I found a small bulge in the tire. Had it replaced, and the vibration is gone.
Balancing is not everything. The tire may be in balance, but is not round, or has a soft spot in it
They now have a balancer that's called a road force balancer. They actually load the tire like it's sitting on the ground, it will find the soft spots, or irregularities, and either correct the balance or condemn the tire.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just saw the pictures, I don't feel the wear is severe enough to replace the axle. Really depends on how often it's driven, and your pocketbook. Got money.... buy new axles.
I don't feel the wear is the vibration, but the bearings may not last as long as they could.
As far as I'm concerned the repair bearings suck. I've installed a few,(cost conscious customer), and replaced alot of them for leaking.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
how does a bearing cause a seal to leak?
unless the old seal wore a groove in the axle- but don't they make "repair" seals, too?

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I have also had problems with these bearings leaking. You must be very carefull when putting the axle back in. These bearings have a seal with a very small outer lip that usually rolls under when you slide the axle through it. If you don't get the seal right then it will leak. As for your axles, they look good enough to try the axle saver bearings. Many axles are rusty and pitted where the new seal will run. Yours look all right in this area. I don't think the axles have enough wear on them to cause any vibration.

·
20,706 Posts
I'm running the "repair bearings" and have no issues/leaks. I do plan on new axels,just waiting to see this 12 bolt on the way :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts