Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am am just curious if axles ever snap under street car power. I mean, with street tires and a rough 400 HP, need one worry about axles on a 3rd gen f body?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
The differential gears usually break first, however GM did see fit to upgrade the 26 spline axles in the 3rd gen Camaros to 28 spline in '90. I doubt one of the 28 spline axles would ever break in the 7.5 rear end unless it had a spool in it.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've replaced 2 axles in my 91 RS. My motor is a 383 with about 450 hp. Your best bet is what I did and buy aftermarket axles because it will save alot of money in the long run and a new axle from your local GM dealer is roughly 300 to 380 bucks depending on if they like you or not. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dost thou think I would be wise to wait until an axle busts (if it happens at all), just in case they hold up, or should I put some budget aside for axles too? All this help is appreciated, as I would hate to come up to a Rustang and look like a fool when I blow something up, lol. I am the type to do it right the first time or not at all, so to speak, so I would like to hit the road with my shidt in a nice little ball
. Thanks in advance, and for the info!

[This message has been edited by BreathWeapon (edited 11-09-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts