Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car came with stock (previously replaced) front springs and rear single leaf. I wanted to get rid of the 4x4 look and have the tires better fill the wheel wells without buying larger rims

I used RideTech # 11162350 lowering springs up front. These are a Progressive type spring with a advertised drop of 1 1/2"

For the back I used 2" lowering blocks (Speedway) and a 2 degree shim to bring Pinon angle into spec

My results were 1 5/8" drop in the front and 2 1/4" drop in the rear

Tire size before drop (blackwall tires). These tires came on the car and were 17 years old and not safe, IMHO, to keep on the car. They had plenty of tread left but were hard and brown

F=215/60 x 14 BFG radial TA
R=235/60 x 14 BFG radial TA

Tire size with drop (RWL)

F=225/60 x 14 BFG radial TA
R=245/60 x 14 BFG radial TA

Full lock to lock steering, no hitting of any suspension or fenders. Car ride is not harsh or stiff.

Car before drop (Blackwall tires)

Car after drop (RWL tires)

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Very nice! Any drivetrain vibration issues following the drop or did the 2 deg shims correct the geometry sufficiently?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice! Any drivetrain vibration issues following the drop or did the 2 deg shims correct the geometry sufficiently?
The 2 degree shim made the DL angle right.

You don't know until you measure. The blocks have a locating pin that you would grind off (top) without using a shim, or additional block heights, so doing it that way first you could not "undo" the grinding off of the locating stud if you needed to add a shim so I installed the blocks first with the shim. If DL angle was off I would then pull the shim and grind the top locating stud off

Got the blocks and shims from Speedway

I also had the car up on a drive on lift at a shop to re-confirm angle and it was good when I took it in for alignment after doing the front springs.....but doing 100 mph was the ultimate test :)…..smoooooth

Every car will be different. Anytime you change axle or tranny positions, DL angle will be affected

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts