Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is up that i had tires about 3 months now there they are brown lettering,what to do with that problem? thanks

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
It's a known issue with BFG's for some time know. You'll here of dozens of ways to try to keep them white as well as guys painting them and just turning the black wall side out... I haven't heard anything official from Coker (they make a lot of them) but you might try contacting them.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Put a little lacquer thinner on a rag. Simply wipe the letters with the damp rag. Zero effort. If you use tire shine, or armor all it turns them brown/yellow fast.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Has been discussed before....

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS clone, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor, trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
178 Posts
Put a little lacquer thinner on a rag. Simply wipe the letters with the damp rag. Zero effort. If you use tire shine, or armor all it turns them brown/yellow fast.
I have heard of doing this on Harley whitewalled tires too. I have BFG's to and they are yellowed. Guess Ill have to try this.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
He already has the tires. The thinner thing takes about one minute per tire. If I don't use tire products mine stay white for months. It's not that big of a deal to get them looking new again.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I've used BFG solid white letter tires for decades, never had that problem. I use Westly's Bleche White with a stiff bristle brush to clean them, makes them bright white. I never use tire dressing.

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
I've used BFG solid white letter tires for decades, never had that problem. I use Westly's Bleche White with a stiff bristle brush to clean them, makes them bright white. I never use tire dressing.
The tires everyone is talking about are new production from the last few years and once cleaned up it takes just a very short time before they yellow (actually brown) again. It is very possible size makes a difference as BFG retires some sizes and Coker is licensed to make the retired sizes.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Not like this is new. I had the same problems in 1980. Westleys Bleeche White was the best but I understand it has been sold off or aquired and is not the same.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Black Magic has the Bleeche White now. It still works the same, it's still blue and has the same smell too. Been using it since mid eighties, I've always had solid white letter tires since I started driving in 84.

Funny, before I could drive, white letter tires had such appeal to me. First thing I got for my first car was white letter tires. 36 years later I still love my SWL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts