Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone.
I had another TH400 installed. Now the workshop says that the shifter does not fit the TH400 and it is for a TH700. That's why the old TH400 broke down because I probably never drove in third gear. Wouldn't I have heard that?
They have now set it so that all gears switch, but the distance is not enough for the parking position to engage and I always have to pull the handbrake. I only found one shift lever from B&M for the Camaro on the internet and it says suitable for TH350,400,700R. Do I really have the wrong one or another problem? It is a 350 engine.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
They work fine on a TH400. I've been using one for the last 30+ years on my car with a TH400. The shifter comes setup for a 3 speed. To make it work with a 4 speed there is a clip and pin that needs to be removed. Sounds like yours was used on a 4 speed and the pin and clip just needs to be reinstalled.

From the instructions:

NOTE: This shifter has been configured from the factory for 3-speed automatic transmissions. For 4-speed automatic transmission use, remove the E-clips at the back of the shifter and the attached cross-pin (See Figure #5). The e-clip and cross pin will NOT be used in 4-speed operation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ran into this on 2 different B&M shifters. Possibly the same thing is happening with yours. The shifter cable has a mounting tab on it that mounts to the shifter. If you mount the cable on the wrong side it changes the amount of travel. See the figure 1 on page 2 of the directions below.
B&M 80690 B&M Automatic Ratchet Shifter - MegaShifter

Reactions: Steffen76

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran into this on 2 different B&M shifters. Possibly the same thing is happening with yours. The shifter cable has a mounting tab on it that mounts to the shifter. If you mount the cable on the wrong side it changes the amount of travel. See the figure 1 on page 2 of the directions below.
B&M 80690 B&M Automatic Ratchet Shifter - MegaShifter
I can't find any instructions? Is this the wrong page?

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
The Mega shifter has the same pin and clip setup as the quicksilver. Below is a snippet from the Mega shifter instructions.

Font Parallel Clipboard Paper Pattern

·
Registered
116 Posts
For some reason the link takes you to a different page. If you scroll down to tech resources, you can click on the instructions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took some pictures of the shifter. Maybe you see something unusual.
I unhooked the shift cable and shifted the park position manually.
Luckily that works. On the last picture you can see that only 1 mm is missing to hang the cable again.
Can I change anything here?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

Machine tool Gas Household hardware Nickel Wood

Electrical wiring Gas Engineering Cable Automotive exterior

Handle Household hardware Fixture Gas Metal

Gas Machine Bicycle part Nut Auto part

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
They have the wrong lever on the transmission and the wrong bracket on the transmission!

Edit: And the wrong cable! Looks like they just swapped the shifter and re-used the cable, bracket, and lever.

Font Line Parallel Rectangle Auto part

Order this from Summit Racing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts