Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me any tips on how to wire the back-up light switch on My new shifter? I have an original column-shift car that I am converting to a floor shift with a B&M quicksilver shiter. I don't know what to make of the harness going to the column. Do I just locate the correct wire and run it to the shifter? are there kits or harnesses available for this type of conversion? any help would be appreciated.

------------------
68 SS Clone
327/275 w/Powerglide

·
Registered
500 Posts
Should be two 18 gauge wires on the switch at the base of the steering column under the dash. One pink, one light green. Run two wires from the switch on your shifter to these wires. If this is an automatic your neutral safety wires will also be on switch at the base of the column. The two 12 gauge purple wires can be connected to the neutral safety switch on the shifter if it has one.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. What exactly does the neutral safety switch do?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DOH!!! Nevermind, that little search function comes in handy. Keeps the car from starting when the transmission is in neutral.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Actually it allows the car to be started only in park or neutral, but you get the picture.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I followed the wiring harness from the fuse block up to the column where it connects to the column harness. From there the wires just run up inside the column. I can't find any type of switch on the column, just the harness connector. Do I just reroute the back-up and neutral safety switch at that connection? or am I missing a piece?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The wires that run up into the column are for the turn signals and hazard flashers. If you reach around the top side of the column you should find a switch.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

1 - 7 of 7 Posts