Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have been a camaro owner for 5 years but I am new to this forum. I have a 69 camaro with a 4 speed muncie m 20 transmission I am not sure if the car was originally auto or manua, l searched this forum for back up lights and found some answers, but I still have some questions. I have located the switch on the steering column, but how do you tie the switch into the reverse gear? Thanks

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Re: Back up lights 69 camaro

There is a reverse lock out rod that travels from the shifter forward to the firewall where it connects to a bell-house crank that then connects to the steering column and twists the sleeve to trigger the backup light switch and allow you to remove the key and lock the steering wheel.

The rod was removed a lot when aftermarket shifters were installed or non factory headers prevented it from working. Some guys pulled the bulbs and left the sleeve in the :reverse position so the wheel would lock and remove the key, or you manually twisted the sleeve...or just leave the lights on which I'm told was a signal that you wanted to race at the next traffic light LOL

Here is a link to Classics but they all sell the kit to restore your lock-out http://www.classicindustries.com/camaro/parts/k578.html

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
Re: Back up lights 69 camaro

Welcome, Rob. Enjoy the membership.
You'll be gigged for pictures. Just warnin' ya.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to the tech support people at classic industries and was told that this part will not ativate back up lights which confused me even more. that is why I am looking here for some answers. they told me the only way the get the back up lights to work was to put them on a seperate switch on the dash. I hope that someone can shed some light on this problem, if anyone has some pictures they can send me that would be a big help. Thanks

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I talked to the tech support people at classic industries and was told that this part will not ativate back up lights which confused me even more. that is why I am looking here for some answers. they told me the only way the get the back up lights to work was to put them on a seperate switch on the dash. I hope that someone can shed some light on this problem, if anyone has some pictures they can send me that would be a big help. Thanks
Nope the rod turns the steering column which twists the switch. If you have always been a 4 speed vehicle you can turn the column sleeve yourself and turn the lights on if the harness is still plugged in.

Classic Industries has a third party boiler room answering their phones, and they have proven over an over again they don't know skit from shine-ola. If it is not on a script they are clueless. The only hope is to call their headquarters during California Business hours to speak with anyone who knows anything.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
If your car is missing the linkage like mine was, you could also install a switch on the bottom of your shifter that's activated by the reverse lever of the shifter, run 2 wires from this switch up to the steering column and connect to the 2 wires of the original back up switch. That's what I just did. Total cost was under $30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts