Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorting out all my wiring issues and got everything working fine except the reverse lights, the are on always as soon as the ignition is on. I tried unplugging the switch and they go out so does that mean the switch is bad or could it be something else?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
What year is your car?

if it's a 69, twist your steering column if you are missing the reverse lock out linkage.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 69 I will try that, how can I tell if I am missing the reverse lockout?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
When you shift into reverse the sleeve on the steering column will turn, activating the reverse lights, and out of reverse it will turn the switch off. If you can pull out the key when parked while in first through fourth, the rod has been removed.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Here's a bad picture of the reverse lock out on my 69 Z.

Basically how it works is when you put the car in reverse, it moves the linkage attached to the bottom of the column which in turn activates the reverse light switch located inside the car at the bottom of the column. If you are missing the linkage the column can twist and will activate the reverse light no matter what gear you are in.

Grab the column below the ignition switch and twist it to see if that might be the problem.

I hope this helps & good luck.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Just remember to manually twist it back or you won't get the key out. :yes:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, confirmed that the lockout linkage has been removed and from the looks of it because of the header there is no room to put it back :-(

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well, if its an automatic, then run the wire to the console shifter switch and if its a 4 speed, there are numerous switches available for either mounting on the shifter or the tranny lever. Kinda strange that the reverse lights are on from the collumn but the NS switch is not. Also if the collumn was twisted enough for the reverse light to be on then how do you get the key in and out?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
There are a limited number of header options for a 4 speed if you want to retain the factory reverse lock out or you have to get creative with your bends and make your own solution to the bell crank.

Most 4 speeds I have ever encountered - with headers or not - have had the lock out disabled. I put mine back on then took it off again. Made it a lot easier to get into reverse.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
If I remember correctly the reverse lights are pink and green. Trace them to the neutral safety switch (automatic) in the console if you have one. As mentioned above switch could be bad or out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Reverse lights always on is cool, or so we thought, everyone did that mod back in the day.
So true. I should mention I received a ticket because of the mod too. :cool: LOL

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Reverse lights always on is cool, or so we thought, everyone did that mod back in the day.
Universal language for "you want to race?" at the traffic light. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts