Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have completed a ground up restoration on my 1969 Z28 4speed of course and I actually have two stupid questions. You would think that after having every nut and bolt out of the car that I would know the car inside and out. I do not remember a back up light switch as well I have no back up lights when car shifted into reverse? Any ideas where the switch is located? I noticed that there are two purple wires that are spliced together near the lover part of the steering column could that be the wiring to the back up lights? Also one other problem is that with the headlight on the front directions in the lower valance do not flash but work without the headlight on like they should normally. How could a one prong socket for the front lights be able to perform two duties parking and turn signal? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The backup light switch is mounted on top of the steering column, just rearward of the trim cover at the firewall; it will have a pink and a light green wire in the connector (pink is power feed, green goes to the lamps). The switch is operated by a tube inside the column, which is moved by the lever on the engine side of the column that's connected to the linkage and bellcrank that goes back to the reverse lever on the transmission.

The two purple wires you found spliced together are the "start" circuit from the ignition switch to energize the starter solenoid; sounds like someone bypassed the clutch safety switch.

The bulb sockets in the front valance panel are supposed to be double-contact, for dual-filament bulbs; if they're single-contact, someone changed them.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
471 Posts
The situation JohnZ describes is exactly the ritual I went through on my Z when I got it. I had to re-attach the neutral safety clutch switch, remove the jumper, add the interlock rod/bellcrank, and then adjust. I am now impressed whenever I see any Camaro with working BU lights. A small but important detail that separates the masses!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts