Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I recently put headers on my 70rs. Because it's a 4 speed and to get them to fit I had to remove the transmission lock-out piece. The good news is I no longer have to put the car in reverse to remove the key. The bad news is the back-up lights stay on! Does anyone know how I disable these lights?

Cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
that arm that went from the reverse lever on the trans over to the body linkage was the reverse lockout for the key AND the backup light switch which is in the steering shaft...got one good thing you can take out the key without having to put it in reverse every time but you loose the backup lites...... you need to rewire direct to a switch on the trans and bypass the switch on the steering column just pull the 2 wires off the switch on the column and extend them to the trans..... I went under the console carpet so it doesnt show.... now you need a new switch can buy one from a 67-68 ...... but I took one frome a Motorcycle cause its so small mounted it to the trans cross mount sot that the mount shields it from the header heat.... conected it via a long spring to the reverse lever of the shifter..... works great

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 69-ZMAN:
that arm that went from the reverse lever on the trans over to the body linkage was the reverse lockout for the key AND the backup light switch which is in the steering shaft...got one good thing you can take out the key without having to put it in reverse every time but you loose the backup lites...... you need to rewire direct to a switch on the trans and bypass the switch on the steering column just pull the 2 wires off the switch on the column and extend them to the trans..... I went under the console carpet so it doesnt show.... now you need a new switch can buy one from a 67-68 ...... but I took one frome a Motorcycle cause its so small mounted it to the trans cross mount sot that the mount shields it from the header heat.... conected it via a long spring to the reverse lever of the shifter..... works great <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matts70rs:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Z=Man:

Thanks for the info. Being electronically challenged, where are these 2 wires? Do I have to pull the steering wheel and go into the steering column to do this?

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts