Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help me find out how to hook up my back up lights? My car was a powerglide car that was convered to 4 speed before i got it. What color were the wires going to the backup light switch & were they located in the console? Thanks

------------------
johnny

·
Registered
575 Posts
What year is your car?
If it is a 68 the switch you are looking for will be mounted in the side cover of the transmission, the wires from the console shifter will be pink and light green, extend them to the swithch on the trans.

If it is a 69 the switch is located on the coloum and there have been some previous post about this subject.

·
10,144 Posts
Look for a rubber two prong socket coming out of the firewall right next to the throttle arm. Origonaly, there was a two wire harness that plugged into it and went to a switch on the trans. The four speed cars used the same switch, with a small rod link to connect to the reverse lever on the four speed.

·
10,144 Posts
Check the firewall again. It's a lite green wire and I think a white wire. Look where the throttle arm comes out of the firewall. go toward the center of the car and up a couple of inches. It would be in the area behind the left cylinder head or valve cover. Perhaps just a little more toward center. It's that way on my 67 Camaro with four speed, I've owned since new. It was that way on my 68 Camaro with powerglide and console shifter, I remember removing the switch when I changed the trans to a turbo 350. Of course that was 30 years ago!

The plug does not look like a plug. The part in the firewall is rubber and protrudes about a half inch, it's about an inch diamiter. If the wires are plugged into it you will have to look carefully or it will just look like a rubber gromet coming out of the firewall. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts