Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 68 with tail light back up lights in one unit. The wiring is all new as are the light fixtures. There are no sockets for the b/u lights. In the trunk wire harness there is a green wire exposed on the d/s and a black wire exposed on the p/s. Are these for the back up lights? Is the green + and the black - and do I make a little harness across for both or is each side + and a seperate color with the bulb socket grounding to the light fixture?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
The wiring is all new and there aren't any back up light sockets??? Weird... Maybe it is an RS harness???

Anyway, the dark green wire is the pass side stop/turn, the yellow is the driver side stop/turn, the brown is the running/tail lights, the light green is the back up lights, and the tan is the fuel sender wire. There are a couple black ground wires back there, too. But the tail and stop lights are grounded through the socket to the housing and chassis ground.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must have been the case. I don't see the sockets listed anywhere so I may have to hit the auto parts storess and make my own.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
You can get a socket anywhere... Napa, Autozone, O'Reily's, Pep Boys, etc. I'm sure the regular vendors will sell you one, too. Plus, I have heard people saying they have called AAW and they will sell them, as well. But I don't see that theirs are any more "original" than an Autozone part...

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Must have been the case. I don't see the sockets listed anywhere so I may have to hit the auto parts storess and make my own.
Hey Kevin, just a word of caution: see if you can find something besides the "one size fits all GM, 1964-98" type of socket at the local parts store. Maybe you'll luck out and find something more specific for first gens (however doubtful).

I rebuilt/repaired my entire rear end harness -- did everything but the back up lights that you're about to do -- and ended up buying the sockets from the local parts store. They work, but they don't hold the bulbs very securely, and depending on what mood they're in, I get a lot of flickering. A couple of other TC comments indicate that these repop sockets are just not made very well. Someone even commented that when you but the entire harness you still don't get good quality sockets. How are your outer/turn/stop lights working?

I'm curious to know if it's these double contact sockets that I bought are just junk or what the deal it. Let us know how it works out with the single contact 1156s, too!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zac, my side markers are ok I think because they are push in bulbs but as you say the tail light sockets just kinda sit there at will. There is no twist lock and I have one that is in the trunk a few times. The car has been fully restored (not by me) and I have only owned it about a week so I'm chasing a few little gremlins that got overlooked in the resto process. I can see the tail/turn sockets getting an upgrade if the problem keeps up. It's one of thoses areas cops just love to stop you for.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Zac, my side markers are ok I think because they are push in bulbs but as you say the tail light sockets just kinda sit there at will. There is no twist lock and I have one that is in the trunk a few times. The car has been fully restored (not by me) and I have only owned it about a week so I'm chasing a few little gremlins that got overlooked in the resto process. I can see the tail/turn sockets getting an upgrade if the problem keeps up. It's one of thoses areas cops just love to stop you for.
Well, best of luck, my friend -- to us both, for that matter!

This isn't exactly the stock set up that I'm after, but, when it comes to tail lights/safety, I'm really considering this small touch of resto-mod genius: http://www.superchevy.com/technical...06_first_gen_camaro_led_taillights/index.html

My buddy, Kokamo around here, has them on his 69 and they are, to put it mildly, BRIGHT. They definitely solve the socket problem and quadruple tail end visibility, easily. Just gotta be willing to sink the $ into them... Of course, when you consider the possibility of being rear ended b/c someone didn't see your lights, it's probably money well spent.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Yah, LED lights have been discussed on here many times. You are right that they are brighter and, therefore, probably safer. But many of us like the original look of bulbs...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just saw those too. That's a definate possibility if the sockets become a pita. t believe there is even a set up for the b/u lights as well.

As for originality well its one of those things like bias ply nylon tires I can look past for safety. Besides with a 427 I'm not really original.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I have a 427, too. I personally didn't mean a concours original car. Maybe some of the others in that discussion did. I meant more like keeping in line w/ the original look of the car and era. When my lights are clean and working well (good ground and contact), they are pretty bright. Not new car bright. But...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How are your outer/turn/stop lights working?

I'm curious to know if it's these double contact sockets that I bought are just junk or what the deal it. Let us know how it works out with the single contact 1156s, too!
When we first corrisponded I had just got the car had had no running time on it. The sockets are a POS but I have them jammed in pretty good now. When I pull the car out and am dusting it off I check with the turn signals to make sure I have lights. If it becomes to big a problem I'm going the LED route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts