Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 67 camaro with a 350, it has a edelbrock 600 and it backfires through the carb when i floor it of the line. it only happens when when i hit it hard, otherwise its totally fine. what might be the problem?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Try adjusting the linkage on the side oarb that controls the size of the squirt ( accelerator pump ). Look down the carb throat to make sure you are getting a suirt. If it is clogged or too small, your car basically takes in a gulp of air and will pop thru the carb . If this is not the problem, I would check that plugs wires are in proper sequence and I would re-check the timing...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a similar problem, but more chronic backfiring through carb. It turned out to be a vacuum leak. Has this been a long term problem, or just recently after changing something like intake manifold or carb. I had changed both, and in the process did not screw down far enough the vacuum "bung" for auto-trans. The rear of the carb was sitting on the "bung". It drove me nuts I took off carb and re-installed it along with intake manifold several times. Based on my experiance I would guess a vacuum leak of some sort.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Have you checked your timing? I replaced my damper and it took me weeks to find out that the timing mark was off by 7 degrees, the location of the mark changed in the 60's and it's common to get the wrong mark. Also may want to check that your vacuum advance is dropping out fast enough when you punch it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts