Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a first run today after installing COMP roller rockers, pushrods, and stud girdles on my motor. I have a backfire issue now when letting off the gas after a full throttle run. I do have an open Magnaflow exhaust bolt-on kit. Any ideas what this could be? I am thinking the combination of exhaust, etc. may have leaned out the tune. Thoughts?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a complete Magnaflow system with mufflers. I just ran dumps off the mufflers in front of the rear differential.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Did you adjust the valves/rockers properly? Could be the cause of the backfiring

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you adjust the valves/rockers properly? Could be the cause of the backfiring
It's a hydraulic set up so it was pretty straight forward. Adjusted the locknut 1/2 turn past snug like the instructions said. I don't have any noise from the valvetrain so everything seems ok.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you readadjust the timing, it could be advanced by 1-2 deg.?
I am going to re-adjust the pushrods to between 1/3 and 1/2 turn in case I have one valve not shutting completely. Isn't backfiring a sign of being lean on fuel or late on timing?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After checking through the forums I decided to adjust the valves and tighten them to 1/4 turn instead of the 1/2 turn that COMP recommends. That seems to have cured everything. No more backfires, and it is idling a little better as well. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I had the same problem. It turned out to be a broken valve spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts