Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking info on what other G.M. YEAR's and MAKE's rear drum brake backing plate interchanges with
69 Camaro 12 Bolt......such as Camaro 10 Bolt ????? .....please EMAIL me at [email protected] Thanks, Chuck Sharin

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What other CARS and YEARS .......PLEASE !!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
if it has the same wheel bolt pattern, and has drum brakes, it should work- but maybe the BOP axles used a different axle tube end, so look out for it. they are the rears that have the center cover that isn't round, but has a big chunk taken out of each side. you'll know it when you see it.
also, look out for the 76 or so and newer Monte Carlos and Grand prix's with the huge (11"?) rear drums- those backing plates would have to be a couple inches bigger. also, 78 and newer A and G bodies have a funky backing plate that only uses like 2 1/4" bolts to hold the backing plate to the axle- i can't see how those bolts don't break.
other than those few exceptions, any GM midsize car from the mid 60's to the late 80's are close to the same- if not THE same.

·
Registered
141 Posts
67-81 Fbody (BOP axle same no difference. I replaced the backing plate on my Firebird with a 80 Berlinetta unit)

Any midsized car running a 10-12 bolt rear and the same 5 lug setup from that year range.

68-80ish Nova type cars

82-87 Gbody and S-10 are DIFFERENT! You can't use them. The drum is the same but the flange and backing plate bolt up different.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poncho and others...thanks for a MORE complete answer.....What are the BOP axles.....is that the kind with the "C" clips???.....Thanks, Chuck S/Seattle

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the Chevy rears have "c clips" to hold the axles in, and the "BOP" rears have a pressed on bearing like a 9" Ford does. but, for your purposes, any backing plates will work- except for the exceptions already noted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts