Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 RS, the back-up lights only work if you go from Drive to Reverse. If you go from just Park to Reverse, the rear backup lights do not work?

Fuses look good, bulbs work, any ideas on cause?

Thank you in advance for help.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Its most likely the neutral safety switch which also activates the backup lights on automatic equipped cars. If your shifter is on the column, its located under the dash on the column. If a floor shift it should be mounted on the shifter. It may just need an adjustment or it may be on the way out, or it may just need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a new Neutral switch from Napa (part #NS6410) which is the only one they had for 68 camaro, AT, 327 and it did not fit, they did not have one that specified column shift or not. On the first picture you can see the plastic 1/2 inch or so white tab is a little wider than the original (original part on bottom).

The second photo shows the bottom curve radius is different that original curve radius so it will not seat over the steering column.

YearOne has part number MJ89 and R696 but I cannot tell if correct by picture. Anyone know where I can get correct switch or get this rebuilt?
https://www.yearone.com/SearchResults/1967-81-Camaro/neutral safety backup switch

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got correct new part and backup lights work but car starts in Drive, which I don't think it is supposed to. I need to adjust switch but no idea how. I installed with while in Neutral.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
The switch is slotted to rotate around the column slightly. IDK why it is not spot on if the pin was in the switch and the trans in neutral.

Jeff

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I don't believe the switch has detents in it, it's just a slider. So as said, loosen the mount bolts, rotate the switch slightly (guessing clockwise), retighten and test. Repeat as needed. Adjust it so that it only starts in park and neutral, and the backup lights only work in reverse. Pretty simple, really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts