Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and came up with some good info but still didn't answer my question, hope someone can clarify for me. Where do the backup lights on a '69 z/28 plug into to work properly? I have seen some posts say on the neutral safety switch on the steering column while others say on a switch on the tranny. I have a neutral safety switch on my column that has a plug with 2 pink wires on one side and 1 light green on the other. The 2 pink wires are hot, the green is not, I bypassed the switch with a small wire and my lights do not work. I do have 1 ground wire on the plastic bulb housing that is broken (has 1 light green and 1 black wire to each housing) but I had my wife hold it to the housing ground wire that was left and my lights still did not work. I can see no kind of switch on my tranny, I also have to have the car in reverse to get key out of switch. If anyone can help me find out where my problem is I would greatly appreciate it. BTW, all other lights work properly. Thanks alot.

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
First event I would do would be to go to the backup lamp socket, and with it installed, measure ohms from the Light Green wire to ground, just to see if I have continuity and the bulb is good. Fix what's broke if you don't see ohms.

The next event I would do is to find the b/up light switch bolted onto the trans reverse shift rod. From there, follow the harness up to the firewall, approx area would be the throttle cable, and look for the plug. Make sure they are plugged in together good.

You might even check for battery voltage being provided on the pink wire to the switch.

If volts go into the switch and not coming out, switch may need adjustment to make when trans is in REV.

Be sure to turn the key onto IGN and select reverse, check fuse also, to check performance of lights.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Backup switch on all 69 Camaros is on the top of the steering column just above the brake pedal. If you've put headers on the car and removed the interlock linkage, that's why the lights don't work.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark, the car did have headers on it when I bought it but now has factory manifolds. What does linkage look like? Also, bypassing the switch should have made the lights come on if the rest of the wiring is correct or would it still not work due to the linkage? Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
There is a vertical rod that attaches to a tab on the lower end of the steering column in theengine compartment. This rod connects to one leg of a "Y" shaped linkage attached to the inside face of the suframe just forward of the clutch linkage. One of the other legs has a rod that attaches to the bottom of the reverse lever on the transmission. This linkage operates both the neutral safety switch (the neutra safety switch is there on the column but not used on a manual tranmission - there is an extra clutch pedal switch added to prevent starting in gear) and backup lights on a 4 speed car. You should not be able to rotate the key to the lock position and remove the key unless the transmission is in reverse. If you can this rod is either missing or misadjusted.

There are two sets of terminals on the backup/neutral safety switch. One set has a pair of terminals arranged this way (--) the other has a set like this (=). The (--) is the backup light set. It should have a pink wire (hot) and a light green wire (to lamps). The light green wire runs from the switch to the 10 pin rear body connector located above the parking brake by the drivers side kickpanel. From there it runs to the rear light sockets. Located right above the (=) connector is a clip that holds the connector for the clutch safety switch which is in turn attached to the clutch pedal by a small linkage. The (=) connector is the automatic transmission neutral safety switch that is used when the car does not have a console. There would be a purple and a purple with white stripe connected to the switch if you had a column shift automatic car. This connector is not used on manual or console cars.

Check for voltage at the bulb socket with the transmission in reverse, or the switch jumpered (you can also rotate column shroud by hand if the linkage is missing and the tab is not wired in the full up position - just grab it where it goes into the dash and rotate it. Fully counter clockwise is Reverse in a manual shift car, park in an automatic car. If you can get 12V to the socket is has to be a ground problem. If you can't get 12V to the socket then check the 10 pin connector above the paring brake. Of course the fuel gauge, stop, blinker and rear parking lamps go thru the same connector so if those work the connector should be fine and you probably looking at an open wire somewhere between the switch and the sockets.

[ 06-11-2004, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: Mark C ]

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything that Mark said check as far as the switch and clutch linkage checks out. My next question is I found the two wires coming from the clutch activated safety switch (purple and gray) that is held in place by the bracket on top of the neutral safety switch. Which wires connect to these? The only wires left in the harness are two large purple ones that are not hot and do not have a plug on the end (seems to have been removed). In my wiring diagram it says these two should be used with an automatic trans and plug into the neutral safety switch. Should these wires plug into the clutch safety switch wires and should either one of them be hot? Thanks again for any info, I think I am getting close!

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Yes, those two (one purple, one purple with white tracer) go to the clutch operated safety switch. One (purple with white tracer) should be hot with the key in the start position only. But since your car starts (I assume) and the purple one is supposed to go thru the firewall straight to the starter solenoid, someone has changed your harness somewhere, or these two wires are (were?) jumpered together.

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
Since I already failed this lab problem, maybe I can answer this question correctly for extra points.

The two purple wires can be connected to the Neutral Safety Switch. One will be hot in the START position. The other wire will read the ohmic value of the solenoid coil at the starter, if hooked to the starter S terminal. After preliminary checkout of confirming operation of starting circuit, remove the two purple wires and shrink wrap each quick disconnect and reconnect.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, the purple wires look like you said. I am not sure if I understand where they should go. Neither one is hot when the car is in reverse and the switch is powered on but car not started (yes the car does run). One purple wire goes down behind my fuse box, but I don't know if it goes in the fuse box or thru the firewall to the starter, haven't been able to get under car yet to see. I have no idea where the other wire goes, my wiring diagram shows to the ignition switch. Is this correct? Will purple wire only be hot if run to the starter? I will try to trace this one tonite, hope someone can give me a little more info. Thanks alot so far, it has been very helpful.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
One end of the purple wire starts at the "S" terminal of the starter coil, it runs up the passenger side of the engine and into the wire harness that runs across the plastic gutter in the center of the firewall. It comes out of that gutter and runs down to the lower right corner (facing the front of the car) inner (closest to the engine) bulkhead connector that is behind the fuse panel. From the there it runs up to a connector that should be connected to the clutch safety switch. The purple and white wire is in the other terminal of this connector. The purple and white wire runs up to the ignition switch connector on top of the steering column.

Power comes from the ignition switch (in the Start position only) thru the purple and white wire to the clutch switch. If the switch is closed (clutch depressed) power passes thru the switch to the purple wire. Purple wire delivers power to the starter solenoid and engages the starter.

Purple wire will only be hot with the key in start and the clutch depressed (or the switch jumpered). Purple and white wire will be hot when the key is in start.

Reverse lights get their power from the pink wire at the backup light switch on top of the column and send it to the lights over a light green wire. Reverse lights are only powered with the key in the run (and possibly ACC) position. Power for the backup lights come thru the pink wire from the hot terminal of your blinker flasher which is attached to the dash support above your radio. If your blinkers work the pink wire should be hot.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your help, Mark. I think I can get it to work now that I understand all the wiring. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
From what I recall seeing in the wiring diagragm, the reverse light contacts of the nss got their power from the ignition side of the ignition switch not the blinkers. Then returned as a pink wire connecting to the green lead running down the left side to the reverse lights.
Purple and purple/white are neutral saftey related only. If they are bypassed, you'll find the purple lead from your starter switch going directly to the "s" terminal of the starter solenoid. The car would then start in all positions of the tranny.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Blinkers (not flashers) are on the ignition fed portion of the fuse panel. Power comes thru the ignition switch and feeds two or three fused circuits that are only hot in the run position. The pink wire for the backup lights does come from the flasher connector as described in a 69 Camaro.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey Mark you are very knowledgable in this area and need to ask a related question.

I added the reverse lock out linkage and have two problems. The first is when I pull out of reverse back into neutral it's not a smooth transition of down and over to the right. It's as if it gets a little hung up just before coming out of reverse going into neutral.....like I was pulling it out of gear at a angle back into neutral. Do I have to readjust the transmission....if so can you explain how? I know I have to try and lubricate the rotating shaft inside the steering assy but not sure if this will fix the above.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts