Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 and the previous owner changed it from a A/T to M/T. Short of just installing the trans to operate thats all was done. He chopped a hole in the floor and thats all, no console and all the A/T backup/neutral safety switch wiring was just on the floor. Now I'm trying to make sense of it. From what I can identify it has the horse shoe shaped A/T backup/neutral safety switch still attached. I dont even know where to start with changing it over to manual. I've found a hurst switch that looks pretty simple being that i do have a hurst shifter it may work. As far as wiring it, im lost. Any help or imput would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Pull the purple and the light green wires off the backup/neutral safety switch and run the wires down thru the hole in the console floor where the shift cable would have come up to the horseshoe shifter assy. You might need to make the wires longer. If you are using a Hurst shifter get their b/u lite switch kit. Attach the wires to the switch. It doesn't matter which wire goes where. The switch just completes the circuit when the plunger is pushed in by the reverse shift arm. Piece of cake!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds easy enough. How easy does the hurst backup switch bolt up? Anyone have any experience with using one of these?

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I just did this yesterday. unplug the original NSS. Wire the 2 purple wires together that's the NSS portion. I soldered them similar to this:

Now the remaining 2 wires are for the reverse lights. I ran them down through the original hole for the PG shifter cable. The Hurst switch has a bracket that bolts to the shifter and locates the switch so that when you shift into reverse it presses against the switch and turns the lights on.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
If the previous owner installed the switch on the clutch pedal the purple wires would connect to it. That would require that the clutch pedal to be pushed in before the engine would crank. It's a safety feature and not a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
If the previous owner installed the switch on the clutch pedal the purple wires would connect to it. That would require that the clutch pedal to be pushed in before the engine would crank. It's a safety feature and not a bad idea.

True. I didn't realize it was a 69. My 68 had no provision for the clutch safety switch.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
I just did this yesterday. unplug the original NSS. Wire the 2 purple wires together that's the NSS portion. I soldered them similar to this:

Hey, That photo looks familiar...;) It's still working fine years later...:thumbsup:
Be sure to insulate your jumper with electrical tape or shrink tubing.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Hey, That photo looks familiar...;) It's still working fine years later...:thumbsup:
Be sure to insulate your jumper with electrical tape or shrink tubing.
We actually used brush on electrical tape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts