I know how you feel. After looking under the dash a couple weeks after buying my 68, I found they hooked the power to the water temp gauge by scraping a bare spot on the oil pressure power wire and wrapped the bare end around it - if that wasn't dumb enough, they didn't even tape the bare wire, just stuffed it up under the dash.
It's a good thing this car has found a good home where it will no longer be used and abused.
When I got my 68 many years ago it was in a lot worse shape than I thought. I left it sitting on jackstands for a couple of days and the frame tore away from the body. The block was cracked, the tranny only shifted when it wanted to and the rearend sounded like a banshee. After too many hours and way too much dough I can truley say that the car is mine. The only thing on the car that was from the old owner is the paint, and that's going to change soon. It is a great feeling to know that when someone askes where I got all the work done I can say I did it myself. It ain't the best job in the world and it isn't the fastest car on the block, but it's mine. That is what it is all about. Rhat
Brother, I feel your pain. When I bought the 69, I knew that it was a near basket case and would need a major frame off resto. When I found some of the crap that had been done ot the car I just shook my head. The first thing that I found was coat hangers holding up the exhaust that I threw out anyway. They used the wrong clutch push rod (too short) so they welded an extension on the Z Bar and drilled a hole in it. Yikes talk about safety. They also replaced the body bushings under firewall with stacks of huge washers. And as I was getting closer to completing the disassembly, I found that the dash had rotted out like they usually do but someone had put in a ton of bondo, smoothed it out and replaced the windshield. Needless to say, I had to cut out the dash and replace it. The wiring was no better. I did not have a choice, I had to replace the entire wiring from stem to stern. I thought the rear was a posi unit because I could spin both tires. Surprise, it seems that someone drove it with low lube and the carrier was locked up. That was a bear to remove because the pin was gauled in the carrier so I had to cut it in half to get the axles out so I could remove the carrier. So you think that you are venting. This was almost three years ago and it still gets me. $21,000.00 later and countless hours of work I can proudly accept the trophies. Good luck with your project. A picture of the 69 and 75 can be viewed at Worldwide Camaro on the On Line Show and Shine under 69X11SS.
Been there, done that...
Scroll down to the pics of my subframe after I painted it. There's a shot of one of the front subframe mounts with the previous owners handywork still attached to it. Now I know why it's taking me three years to get this thing back on wheels.
Unfortunately GeoCities runs their web hosting service on an old 486SX computer running at 25MHz so it'll probably not be available when you check the link....
Can`t begin to list all of the hacked stuff on my car before I started, but the worst was probably the tow bar hookups welded on to the bottom of my front subframe. Took about 4 hrs of grinding and 5 5" grinding wheels to get them loose.
A forum community dedicated to 1st generation Chevy Camaros owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, builds, restoration, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, reviews, and more!