Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

It's been a long while since I visited this site. But, very glad to be back.

I have a 1967 camaro coupe 327. The engine has had top end work, such as rebuilt heads, edelbrock manifold and performer carb, edelbrock cam and timing set, headers and dynomax exhaust. The problem is this. When I first start the car after it has sat for a long while, the idle is VERY lopey, almost dying, until it gets warmed up then it is fine. I am thinking it is the carburator out of adjustment, but I'm not sure. Is there anything I can do with the carb adjustment on the edelbrock performer to fix this? Or, does it sound like the carb needs to be rebuilt? Or is it another problem entirely? I don't know how long the carb has been on the car because it was on it when I purchased it. If the car is warmed up, then I shut it down and restart it, it starts up very fine with a good idle.

any help is appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
271 Posts
sounds like the carb. have you set the timing lately? if it only acts up after it sits for a while, it could be things getting gummed up in the carb or maybe even some dirt or debri blocking things up. my car sat for about 6 months at one point, ran horrible at idle when i started it. it ended up being dirt in the carb causing it to run really rich. just took it apart and gave it a good cleaning and it was ok. it could just be the idle mixture screws too. does the car run ok besides idle? you can download the carb manual off edelbrock's website, great tuning instructions in there. i believe my screws are set at about 1 1/4 turns out right now, depends on your setup though. i'm betting it's dirt in the carb since it happens after it sits. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think mine is the 1406 electric choke edelbrock one. It seems I'm on the right track then in thinking it's the carb. The car runs fine after warmup. I probably need to set the timing and adjust the screws in the carb. I don't have much experience doing this, but it seems pretty self-explanatory. Do these edelbrock carbs needs rebuilding after a certain amount of time? This one looks in good shape and the car doesn't get driven hardly at all, but I don't know how long it has been on it and outside looks don't mean a whole lot

thanks again guys. Boy is this site very helpful. I miss it.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Any carb should last a long time without a rebuild provided A) it doesn't go dry or B) old fuel isn't allowed to set in it for long periods of time. Both of these will cause a lot of varnish build up that can cause floats to stick and orfices to plug up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Before you start it the next time it is cold check to see if the choke butterfly is closed( you have to push down on gas once to set it). If it is closed start the car and see if the butterfly opens a little. If not this is why it will not idle(to rich). If it is opening a little the problem is that the fast idle screw needs to be set for a higher speed (this screw is under the choke housing on the front throttle shaft).Your problem is all in the choke setting if it runs fine when warm (no need to adjust anything else).

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree with jhow, check out the choke first. If its running fine when warm, then odds are the choke might not be working properly. Would be a good idea to clean out the carb and linkage too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts