Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question now is if anyone can tell me if the rag joint has to be replaced.

I have loosened the 2 bolts to be able to separate it from the steering column.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It looks like it has some miles on it, but is not necessarily bad.

Have a helper turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch and see if there is any rotating play between the flange at the bottom of the steering column and the pinch bolt connection at the steering gear input. If it has play, it needs to be replaced.

Also check closely for any cracks or damage to the rubber donut.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I will check that but I think I will replace it anyway to be sure it is in good shape.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Mikael - Did you have to drop the steering column to get the rag joint out? Getting ready to do this myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't got it out yet but have read that you have to drop the steering gear or unbolt the steering column and pull it into the car.
I will pull out the subframe with engine and transmission and in my plan the steering column will separate from the rag joint.
This is how it looks right now.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
you have to drop the column--that takes about 3 minutes to do--very, very easy.

They sell just the rubber donut--they are pretty cheap and easy to find if the rest of the joint looks good.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
The joint looks like it still has some life left in it. You will have to drop the column as previously stated if you choose to replace it. It is no big deal and will be even easier for you to work on because you have the front clip removed.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thanks. I plan to pull the column anyway to clean it up a bit, but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When re-installing the column after dropping, is there anything special, like adjusting, or is it just simply bolting it into place? Never done it before myself..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I havent removed the column, only loosened the bolt bolts and pulled it about 2 inches inwards. I havent get the new rag loint yet and the car is still in pieces but I guess the only thing you have to do is to push the column back in place as soon as the new rag joint is installed, but I have some work to do before that will happen as for example get the subframe back in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts