Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We need help with our 69 Camaro 350. There is a vibration coming from the engine that travels thru to the tranny area. You can hear and feel it when the engine is being revved in the driveway or during acceleration when driving. We thought it might be the water pump going out and replaced it. Didn't fix the problem. All bolts have been torqued to their specs. Belts are tight. No leaks. No loss of power. Any ideas? Thanks. Karen.

·
Super Moderator
32,289 Posts
Did this engine run smooth before?
Was anything changed before this vibration came along?
Is the engine running smooth, ie, no missing cylinders?
Fan blades bent/cracked?
Engine mounts broken?
Transmission mount broken?
If clutch equipped, does the vibration go away with clutch pedal pressed, disengage the clutch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a problem with my 68 vibrating the same way you describe.I was told with the vehicle vibrating sitting still, remove the belts one at a time to eliminate the fan, water pump, etc.If the vibration continues, check the transmission mount, look at your drive shaft and see if you can see where a missing weight might have been. Long story short mine turned out to be the clutch. I replaced 4 different brand clutches before I found one that was balanced correctly. Now its smooth as glass. There was one more thing I was told to look at, the pilot bearing. Hope this helps.
Dale

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
This could be the motor mount/frame bracket issue. For '69 Chevy used the new "interlock" motor mount on 302/350s. The mount is taller and narrower than the 307/327 mount so the frame bracket was re-designed. The problem with this is that the wider/shorter '67-'69 327/307 motor mount will fit the 302/350 bracket. It is a sloppy fit; the engine is positioned too low and can easily move around on the brackets causing vibration and clutch chatter.

If your car was a 350 you may have the wrong motor mounts. One indication is the balancer being very close to the front stablizer bar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts