Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad vibration that starts around 3000 rpm and increases with the rpm. The vibration occurs when standing still (not in gear) or in gear moving, and with the clutch in or out.

It vibrates so much that dash screws are coming out.

I just swapped a TH350 to a Muncie 4speed. I installed a new flywheel, new clutch with throw out bearing, and the Muncie was just rebuilt. Everything that had to do with the swap is brand new. I also just replaced the motor mounts and trans mount.

The flywheel and clutch were purchased from jegs and are the ones that cost about $100 a piece.

Since the vibration is always there, even when standing still, I assume that I can rule everything behind the Muncie out.

Also, the vibration caused a new noise (rattle) from around the bell housing, but the noise will go away if I push the clutch in about an inch. Does this sound like the clutch petal needs to be adjusted. I adjusted it according to this site and books so I think I adjusted it correctly.

I have a feeling that the vibration is coming from the flywheel, clutch, bell housing area, or Muncie but I wanted some of the expert’s thoughts before I tear everything down again.

If it matters, I have a 67 with a small block 350.

Thanks
Jason

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Sounds like the wrong throwout bearing/clutchplate combo. 2 plate clutch? or 3? The clutch plate tight? mis-aligned? <<this is pretty common...wow, not sure otherwise...

·
Registered
601 Posts
first alot of questions for this. what flywheel did you get. weight or no weight . what year is engine from? 1 peice or 2 peice rear main that helps alot. did you put a pilot bearing or bushing in the crankshaft? i do these conversions all the time since i rebuild transmissions and rears. somebody forgets a crucial part sometimes.e-mail directly at [email protected] ill help you out as much as possible.

·
Registered
662 Posts
had the same problem...it was my centerforce clutch. The weights that are added to the pressure plate begin to open at about 3k rpm. I switched to a hays clutch...no problem. I am thinking if that is not the problem, it could be something else?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jaguareats,

The flywheel I purchased is froms jegs (part #317-fwgm100) it states that it is an external balanced flywheel (168-tooth). I secured both the flywheel and clutch with new ARP bolts torqued to the correct spec.

My SB 350 is a 69-80 GMC truck block

My clutch was a zoom clutch kit that cost about $100, it came with the pilot bearing and throw out bearing (both were install according to the directions)

I purchased the chevy hd fork from jegs, seems to work fine with no clearance issues with the firewall.

thanks

Jason

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,540 Posts
The flywheel I purchased is froms jegs (part #317-fwgm100) it states that it is an external balanced flywheel (168-tooth). I secured both the flywheel and clutch with new ARP bolts torqued to the correct spec.
Unless you have a very unusual 350, you've got the wrong flywheel. You need an internally balanced flywheel.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i didnt look on line to jeggs flywheel but if idoes have a weight it is wrong you need with no weight. later models 350 does have a weight on flywheel with 1 piece rear main earlier with 1 peice main dont have a weight on flywheel. what diameter flywheel do you have i got a brand new flywheel for a 10 and half inch clutch and a used 11 inch flywheel for sale also. but are cut just put it on than clutch on.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 11 inch clutch and bell housing with the 168 tooth, i know that for sure

send me an email with the price your looking for, also can you use the one i have?

thanks
jason

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what model flywheel am i looking for, can someone help me out with a part number from jegs

thanks
jason

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
So what model flywheel am i looking for, can someone help me out with a part number from jegs. I have a 11 inch clutch and bell housing with the 168 tooth, i know that for sure.
317-FWGM101

1967-85 Small-Block/Big-Block
Internal Balance
11'' Diameter Clutch
168-Tooth

·
Registered
967 Posts
I did this along time ago myself. That vibration was BIG! If I remember correctly the flywheel was from a externaly balanced 454 . I installed it on a 350.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed out the flywheel on Friday and it is smooth as glass. Jegs sent the correct one and picked up the shipping on the new one and the shipping for the return.

thanks for all the help jaguareats

Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts