Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i just purchased a flowmaster kit from Summit and have a question. I couldn't get the collectors to line up 100% as a result i have leakage. Should the collector have a lip in it so that it can be bolted on to the header. The one i pulled off had one. I don't understand how the collector is supposed to stay in place without the lip. Are you supposed to make a weld between the collector pipe and the three bolted collar?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't fully understand your question, but there should be a 3 bolt flange on the pipes which is bolted to the header with a gasket. The flange is welded to the exhaust pipe all the way around. When this flange is welded to the pipe it needs to be lined up with the headers before it is welded.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The Cone welds to the Flange otherwise there is no seal. If you dont weld yourself you can take them to a Muffler shop and have it done or just buy standard collectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok great, i thought that was the case. I was going to get someone to weld all the other connections as well. Thanks again guys for the advice.
best, paul.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi i did not use the wimpy Size,but nice shaped Flowmaster supplied cones/reducers
as they were o' tooo small to fit the collectors on my big block hooker headers
i used the hooker header reducers i bought from summit when i bought the new headers,
good luck take your time,and make sure you use the supplied push on washers to keep the
rubber exhaust hangers on the mounts..
Lee

------------------
'67 RS/SS 427,4 Speed
Disc brakes,console, fold down rear seat,heater,
Radio Delete, Cowl hood,front,rear spoilers,
Black/black white bumblebee stripe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. got everything hooked up this morning. Sounds and works well. Had all joints welded. There are no leaks. Thanks for the tips guys.
best, paul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts