Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace a lower ball joint, is this a job for the amateur or should it be done by a professional or are there any article on here that could help me?
I assume you need a front end alignment after the job?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
You can do the ball joint yourself it's not a major job. The real task is changing out the bushings in the control arms if you're pulling them.
Otherwise, either buy or borrow a spring compressor they're fairly cheap. A pair of jack stands a jack.
The origionals will have to be drilled out If I remember correctly as the new ones are bolted in.

The worst part of the whole process is the springs..compressing them and getting them out safely and unloading the compresser, then compressing them and reinstalling them so they seat right.
Once the wheel is off take the time to look at the scope of the project and plan out what has to happen step by step. Then take your time and be safe.

Unless your tearing the tierods apart there should be no reason for an alignment.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You can change the ball joint with the contol arm on the car. You will have to keep the spring compressed and push the spindle and brake assy up out of the way. You can borrow a ball joint press from O Rielly's auto parts for FREE!(they hold a deposit but upon return you get that back).
I just did this 2 weeks ago, pretty easy and only took about 45 minutes for both the upper and lower.
Yes I recommend an alignment following the replacement. I did not touch the tie rod end at all.

·
Super Moderator
32,457 Posts
Lower ball joint is a press fit. As said, rent the tool/press to replace.
Upper b/joint is riveted in and replacement comes with bolts & nuts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts