Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the engine this month and i am a little low on cash but i would love to be able to drive it after a year. after instaling the engine what at the nessesary things i need to drive it. Obvioulsy the tranny but mainly the wires and radiators and other small things?
Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
you will definatley need lights, brakes. you don't need really any interior, you could drive around on a 5 gal bucket, this is the same problem i'm facing i just want it driveable. you could go without heat, just depends when you drive it. can't really help need some more info.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry
heres the set up. Rebuilt 350 all the pulley and belts. Powerglide, engine compartment is all finished. Wiring, i have an old harness sitting around but will need a new one since this seems to have all the wires but cant tell wahts what to easily. I also have an old raditor dont know the core size right now and i will need a new one as well. I dont want to drive it around town i just want to be able to start it up and take it around the driveway and street. I dont yet have my license anyway. What kind of battery do i need can i throw the old radiator in for a quick trip around the block. Just enough to get it started.
Thanks and sorry for any mistake
Tim
and the body and brakes should be fine there getting new lines and fule line aas well.

[This message has been edited by tl757 (edited 02-25-2002).]

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you're just going to drive up and down the driveway you only need a charged battery and wiring to the starter and ignition switch. If you drive long enough you'll kill the battery, but you can just throw another charge on it. Make sure you have a throttle return spring on it, and for safety's sake don't sit on a 5 gallon bucket. Throw a seat in there with a couple of bolts. I almost sank a car because I was sitting on a spare gas tank instead of a seat...long story. Make sure the brakes are bled too.

------------------
68 Camaro 355", TH-400, 3.73 10 bolt, Rally rims.
69 Nova 355" TH-350, 4.88 12 bolt, 150 shot...click here to see it.
And a garage full of vintage bmx bikes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh yeah...if your tranny has a neutral safety switch that will need to be hooked up or it won't start.

·
Registered
76 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pete b:
Oh yeah...if your tranny has a neutral safety switch that will need to be hooked up or it won't start.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

or if you just want ot hear it run like i did, i took a scredriver to the starter and started it that way.

by the way i should have been more clear with my statemnt of sitting on a bucket, i'll just say it isn't smart.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I really don't want to sound like my Father but don't go out in the street without Insurance.You may be paying for the rest of your life! (Geez I hate it when he's right)

·
Registered
177 Posts
wesley58- I did that several times until my "incident"...I'll never do it again!

------------------
68 Camaro 355", TH-400, 3.73 10 bolt, Rally rims.
69 Nova 355" TH-350, 4.88 12 bolt, 150 shot...click here to see it.
And a garage full of vintage bmx bikes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
peteb i only did it a couple of times, just because when i work on my car all the neighbor guys come out to help, after we got mostly evrything hooked back up we really just wanted to here the engine run again, so we pored so gas into the carb and did it, well we thought we had everything hooked up except for the oil pressure gage!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I agree with Pete. The neutral safety switch is there for a good reason. I Wish I hadn't done the 'screwdriver thing' every time I look at the screwed up drivers door on my daughters Mustang... and the hole in the garage wall... I'm just glad no one was behind the car at the time.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts