Team Camaro Tech banner

Barret-Jackson Auction

25K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  COPO PETE 
#1 ·
WOW!!!
I just saw a 67 Camaro Ss Yenco on this Auction on speed vision go for $110,000. Wish I had one of those.
regei Jackson was there and said out of the 54 they made there is maybe 20 left.
The auction is on tomorrow if you want to see what some nice rides are selling for.
My wife thinks I have something in the garage now. HA HA I ain't selling.

------------------
67 Camaro 350 4sp PDB Hotchkis suspension
building it my way!!
jam2conklin@charter.net

#3 ·
I saw a few mor Camaros go through the block. It kind of makes me mad though because these millionaires are the only ones who can afford cars like these and therefore it drives up the prices of all muscle cars to the point were working stiffs such as most of us are, can't afford to buy the cars anymore. Some of these guys appreciate these cars but most didn't know what a Camaro was ten years ago. Just Venting.

John

#4 ·
I just got home from a smaller auction in Scottsdale. There was a 69 ZL1, 69 Berger Z28 and a 69 yenko but they were not up for bid yet. The musclecar prices are way up still. A decent 67 shelby sold for 64,000, 67 427 corvette for 85,000. Street rods were not bidding as high as last year. Barrett-Jackson in the morning........

#5 ·
of the top 5 car prices - the Yenko for $110k and a '69 copo for $73k - WOW .... must be nice to spend that kind of cash on a car.... I guess I'll go work on the $2,300 '66 El Camino project I'm working on...

------------------
Steve
My Cars

#6 ·
I agree that these Camaros are fetching far too much money for the good of the hobby and the "common man." But, on the other hand, it's all supply and demand. The thing that really bothers me is that some (most??) of the overpriced cars wind up in the hands of overzealous wealthy guys who don't really appreciate or understand their Camaro. I am tired of arguing the fact that there is no such thing as an SS 327, Yenko Z-28... Also, how do these guys always know that their's is "1 of 4 made" (apart from the obvious). By the way, can you tell I'm just whining because I'm not out there this weekend buying my dream car?

#7 ·
Guys,
Let's face it if you or I hit the lottery tommorrow we would be right up there with Reggie bidding on the Yenkos,COPOS,Baldwin-Motions,Bergers,Nickeys,Official Pace Cars, 67 427 VETTES, 55 Nomads,etc.etc
One difference---we would really appreciate them- and probably wax the paint right off the fenders!
Ron

#9 ·
With the stock market being as weak as it has been, investors are looking at other areas to make money and rare musclecars are one of those investments. I'm not one of the wealthy investors, but I bought a 69 Z28 JL8 car a couple of years ago (took a loan against my 401K) so I'm glad some of the rare high performance cars are increasing in price so I know I'll be protected against a potential loss when my car is finally finished. I'm kicking myself for not buying one of the matching # COPO's I found 2-1/2 years ago for $37K. But, I couldn't have gotten the loan for it anyway. Stay within your means and do the best you can.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

#10 ·
Have you noticed when a car sales for 20 grand, the commentators refer to it as someone getting a "toy" for not alot of money. I guess to those buyers, 20 thousand is not a lot. Oh well, money isnt everything.
I still enjoy my 69! Its not worth a fortune, but it is the only one ever built(by me!).

#11 ·
Does anyone know what is the highest bid for a Camaro was from any auctionhouse?

------------------
1991 Z/28 350tpi (red ext/grey int)1973 Camaro Z/28(project car)
mods:MAC exhaust/headers,SLP runners,Transgo kit,Hypertech Streetrunner chip,K&N filters
member of GULFSOUTH FIREBIRD/CAMARO CLUB (NEW ORLEANS)

#12 ·
Jeff I did the same thing except I bought my car before buying a house. I saved for years to get what I wanted and I'm happy. I figured if I waited I would never be able to afford it. I think I was right.

The first gen Camaro is becoming THE collectible car to have from the 60's with the exception of the Corvette. It's got everything a potential collector could want, timeless styling inside and out, a terrific choice of drive train for any collector, you can get a nimble road car or drag strip brawler. There is a Camaro for everyone. The Camaro market will be strong for years to come.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads

#13 ·
$160,000 for a 70 LS6 chevelle convert ..yikes.. they said the guy spent 150k on the resto. that is a lot of cash for something that will likely never see the road again..

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

#15 ·
when you start getting all the "correct" parts, it adds up. $200 belt, $800 radiator, and on and on. shop labor aint cheap, and it can take thousands of hours to tear a car apart and put it back together. add all that onto a car that was probably a $50k "basket case", and 150k is easy to get to.
if i spent $160,000 for that car at that auction, i would have it out in the parking lot making black donuts in the pavement... i bet about 3/4 of the people there would have a heart attack!!! someday, when i win the lottery...

------------------

#16 ·
Its most likely 75% in the labor. These resto pro's are in big demand and command a lot of cash. There's are guy nera me thats does this kind of work. There's a 3 yrs waiting period to get in and its money that does it. A local guy paid $15,000 up front to start, just to get them to work on his 1965 GTO. It will take a least 2 yrs and he has to cough up whatever they ask for in $$ for parts. Every minute they spend on the car costs him money, even if they are calling looking for parts and they told him they will not dicker prices. He says every month the bill him and if he does not pay, they stop whatever it going one and put a lein on the car. He pays the price for the part unless he has it and then they will install only if it meets there spec's.

#17 ·
The 67 Yenko was a pristine unrestored original. I got a good look at the car today. It was bid as high as it did because of the original condition and low mileage. There were other yenko's at least one clone ZL1 that were not as nice as this 67 yenko. Bidding on the muscle cars and late model drivetrain/50's body cars was good. When the stock market is weak, collector car prices @ auction sales go up. This is evident again this year.

#18 ·
I don't see how anyone can make the comment that the prices these cars are fetching is bad for our hobby or bad for the Camaro market at all. I think that it is just the opposite. For every car that was sold, in the public eye, at the BJ auction, the value of each and every 67, 68, and 69 Camaro went up. It went up with the appraisers, it went up with the banks, and it went up with future buyers.

Project cars will still be around and at reasonable prices, but the value of the finished product has gone up and that is good for us.

my 2 cents.
http://www.adivanman.homestead.com/camaro.html

#19 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James67RS:
I don't see how anyone can make the comment that the prices these cars are fetching is bad for our hobby or bad for the Camaro market at all. I think that it is just the opposite. For every car that was sold, in the public eye, at the BJ auction, the value of each and every 67, 68, and 69 Camaro went up. It went up with the appraisers, it went up with the banks, and it went up with future buyers.

Project cars will still be around and at reasonable prices, but the value of the finished product has gone up and that is good for us.

my 2 cents.
http://www.adivanman.homestead.com/camaro.html
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on James. It's good for our hobby, the Camaro is a respected collector car - these high Dollar auctions prove it IMO.

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

#20 ·
Everyone wants their car to be worth max bucks. Problem is, when the price of restored cars escalates, so does the price of the ones we buy to restore. If you buy a restored car, to finance an unrestored car, we don't notice. However, what if you are just starting out? At some point, the entry cost will prevent the newcomer from becoming a hobbyist.
Just like the stock market, I want the prices to stay low, until the day before I liquidate!

#21 ·
There are some of us who build our cars for the fun of driving them and just sitting around at the cruise night. It is nice to make investments, and want to get a big return on it, but personally, I havent spent the last 18 months in my garage just so I can build something to sell. I understand the money side of the hobby, but there is also a fun side to it too!! I hope the prices dont go so high that the average person cant build a nice driver to enjoy without worrying about how much its worth. Like everybody else, this is just my opinion.

#23 ·
You can't have your cake and eat it too . . . if the cars are really collectibles (ie: popular to buy and restore), they'll be worth more. If they are a fad or gimmick the value will fall when demand does. It really has little to do with wether you like to drive your car or not (I drove mine 5000 miles last summer).

One of the reasons I bought a Camaro, instead of a Corvette or similar, is that the prices are still reasonable. I hope ordinary Camaros never become an elitist only item, but I'm definately in favor of the value of our cars increasing. Not from an investment standpoint, but because its good for the hobby - when Camaros are in demand prices are high and as a result more get restored and less get smashed into cubes.

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

#25 ·
I have always loved camaros, but never had one before. On the cars that I restored before I always lost money or broke even. The only reason that I was able to justify buying convertible camaros to myself and my wife is because they are so popular and worth so much. If it hadn't been for the stock market meltdown I probably wouldn't have started to look at other investment opportunites, but it did and the convertible camaro(for me) fit the bill.

I'm not looking to just turn these cars, but it is good to know that I can put the money into the cars, enjoy them and most likely get my money out someday if I want to sell(maybe even make a nice return!).

It does surprise me though when convertibles in need of a complete restoration bring 7k-10k or more. I think that is presenting a barrier for entry for most. The nice thing about camaros is that if you look long enough and hard enough opportunities do present themselves and you can pick one up that is affordable, has enough room based on its future value to justify the restoration expense so that you can enjoy it without throwing your money out the window.

I also agree that the camaro has got to have the greatest all around appeal. The vettes, etc are too pricey for most...and at their prices I wouldn't want to even take them out of the garage to play with them.

#26 ·
i bet the value of older camaros is going up now because chevy is killing it off as a new car. all the speculators are jumping on them now, while they are "cheap".i wonder if the same thing happened when chevy first killed the malibu in the 80's- isn't that about when older chevelles and malibus jumped in value? what happened to older chevelle and malibu prices when the fwd malibu came out in 97? how about the montes? sometimes, i think my mind works too much on things.

------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.