Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly reminder the auction starts tonight on the speed channel 9pm est........Enjoy!

Dean

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
ahh, yes, the excitement of people paying WAAAYYY too much for cars they never intend to drive, and, as a result, making even the lesser versions of the same car worth more than 95% of the true car guys could ever hope to afford or even be willing to pay.. what time was that again?

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
Originally posted by novaderrik:
ahh, yes, the excitement of people paying WAAAYYY too much for cars they never intend to drive, and, as a result, making even the lesser versions of the same car worth more than 95% of the true car guys could ever hope to afford or even be willing to pay.. what time was that again?
I don't think you could have insulted any more than you just did in one sentence? :mad:

·
3,176 Posts
Not all that pay that kind of $$$ are kept on trailers. Got to drive a nice 69 Baldwin Camaro a nice 69 ZL1 and a 2002 ZL1 while in Seattle this past Aug and then got to drive the same 02 ZL1 and a 03 Sign Series SSR (#19) again in LV this past Nov. Next on the Hit list to take for a spin will be a triple Red 57 Convt with a wild 8 turbo set up with one turbo for each slug. Now that will be a nice sounding peice of machinery when done.

·
15,376 Posts
Watched for a couple hours last night....
Why do the '40's and '50's Buicks and Fords go for $65,000 and the '60's and 70's musclecars only fetch $20,000?! Some of the rods and just plain restored cars (pre-60's) weren't any more special than some of the musclecars. Except maybe for that W-32. They were modified and so were the 60's musclecars, yet they were hitting $50,000 plus, and a sweet Chevelle that was almost untouched and mint sold for $20,000!!
:confused:
And cars that sold at their last auction for well over $100,000 never brought more than $60,000?? None of the cars that were worth $100,000 a year ago went for anything near that much. I can't beleive how much Johnny Carsons 'vette sold for. I guess it wasn't anything special. The Speed Channel hosts need to be provided with a LOT more information. Otherwise it's just boring not knowing a thing about the cars other than what the cameraman shows us. They should have the same info the bidders are given so we know more history of each car.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think you'll see the higher priced muscle selling on the weekend.
The Chevelle I saw that went for $20k was a 396. I guess the $$ don't go high until it's a 454. I noticed the overall condition of the cars being sold last night weren't up to par with what you typically see there, but like I said the weekend will bring better vehicles. At most auctions it costs more to sell on a Saturday than it does on any other day too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I watched for almost 2 hours last night and I must say I was saddened to see the muscle cars going for around the $20K mark and not much more. I think that the action will get better on Sat. and Sun.

How about the guy that bought like 3 cars in about 20-30 minutes!! What was up with that?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I enjoy watching the auction, I think there are many excellent examples of rare and interesting cars there, many which I have never seen nor heard of, and watching 2 bidders duke it out, can get very interesting. I like to live vicariously through the people who can actually afford many of those vehicles, I can't, but that doesn't mean I resent the people who can...

Boy Derrick, you must be a real joy to hang around :rolleyes: With all due respect, I have never seen someone who bellyaches and complains as much as you do...but hey, like they say, you are entitled to your opinion...I just cannot imagine having such a negative outlook on everything...

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I just can't believe that 65 Stang with an aftermarket 'cobra' motor went for 30+ grand...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love to live my life through other people that can afford the car's that I can't, too. That's why I'll be watching all weekend.

I just thought that guy that bought 3 in like 20-30 was pretty cool. I wonder if they were all for him or if he was bidding/buying for some other people?

Tony

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The cars bring what they bring for a reason. If they're out of your price range, to bad. They're obviously not out of some peoples price range!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well said guys....

I think the 3 cars that guy bought came in around 130-140K total, and were 3 distinctly different vehicles..he may be a dealer or broker...wish I had that kind of disposable income! What a blast to spend 3 days down there...Lillard, are you having fun yet???

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
During the Scottsdale auctions, old iron comes out of the woodwork. The local classifieds today have almost 800 classic car ads. Here is a link go to the section for "all ads" and use "classic car" search.

http://www.azcentral.com/class/auto/

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am confused. Someone please define "true car guy" for me. I am not sure what it has to do with anything other than a love of cars.

bob :confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
nothing like watching someone pay twenty or thirty thousand more than what they could have gotten from a private party. i know everyone will say the car is worth what someone will pay. but they also say a fool and his money are soon parted. the one car that cracked me up was the unrestored 64 jag that went for quite a bit of change. i saw one in better shape in the trader for 15K. also that 78 harley sportster{chick bike} that went for 11500. i guess the guy did not realize it was the crappy AMF type harley.
P.T. barnum said there was one born every minute.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,362 Posts
I enjoy watching the auction every year. Funny how we all seem to notice the same things. Let's see tonight's Friday so a few cold ones a good ole home made grilled hamburger and the Speed channel. Doesn't take much to entertain me.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm with Robert, just kick back and be amazed at the money changing hands.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts