Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
In my opinion, it seems pretty dumb of BJ to sue a customer even if the customer was wrong.
This could backfire on them big time if there is a big trial that draws out any unhappy customers who may have bought a over priced car with fake paperwork, restamped parts, or mis-represented by the seller.

here is an news article on it with some interesting comments

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0316sr-bjsuit0316-ON.html

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My understanding is that the gavel doesn't fall until bidding stagnates. If there were bidders wanting this car who were cut out of the bidding process by an early gavel fall surely they will surface if the seller counter sues. The seller signed a contract for a no reserve sale. So long as the bidding process was legit he has no excuse for his behavior.

Personally I don't think the suit is a good idea and will likely harm public opinion of Barrett-Jackson (like their reputation is not already tarnished by some of the BS associated with their auctions). The car was delivered and the sale was completed. I can understand the desire to protect their name and operation by going after this guy to dissuade others from doing the same, but at what cost?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
A hemi cuda that didn't sell for at least a half million at B-J ? The owner should have taken his cash and left, he was the one that signed at the X. This hemi cuda owner was obviously suffering from the "that one sold for $$$" syndrome.
In the suit description it is an interesting theory B-J is claiming that people pulled cars out of the Palm Beach (no reserve) auction because of this guys actions. I suspect that people choosing to pull out of this next no reserve auction has more to do with a little softer numbers at the 07 B-J than in 06.
This lawsuit only reinforces why I would never use a no reserve auction. Bad PR move for B-J to initiate this suit.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,548 Posts
If they lose the case they may wish they hadn't done it, but I think they want to shut this down big time, so they don't get anybody doing this in the future. Calculated risk, but I think they'll win this one.

If they ignore this, I think it gets worse at future auctions.

Jody

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the suit description it is an interesting theory B-J is claiming that people pulled cars out of the Palm Beach (no reserve) auction because of this guys actions. I suspect that people choosing to pull out of this next no reserve auction has more to do with a little softer numbers at the 07 B-J than in 06.
This lawsuit only reinforces why I would never use a no reserve auction. Bad PR move for B-J to initiate this suit.

I had been thinking at placing a vehicle in the Palm Beach Auction but wanted to see how Scottsdale turned out. I decided against it after seeing what happened and after reading this it just reinforces my decision. It had nothing to do with this guys action. Quite the opposite. BJ has a serious PR issue to deal with now. I'll be going to Spring Carlise instead. No TV Cameras and hype, just good old fashion bidding with a reserve. If I get my price great if I don't that's cool too.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I was thinking about placing my car in the Palm Beach auction as well however changed my mind after all the issues/mess Scottsdale created, My thinking is like Tom's, I like the good old fashioned auctions without all the hype and with a reserve price set, if it sells fine if not thats cool too ill keep on keeping on! :)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Barrett-Jackson has everything taped just for occurences like this. If it gets to court I'm sure all will get to see how the bidding went. Why would anyone think it was a 700K car ? I wouldn't pay 300K. I have a friend that is a heavy Mopar collector and he had no interest in it either, even at 300K.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Cars were being hammered before the bidding had ended"

I never witnessed that. Sounds like mis-information.

"You were there, how many times did the crowd boo, because of a quick sale?"

I never saw that either. Sounds like more mis-information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts