Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I have not posted here in a while, maybe not at all so sorry if these questions seem basic or can be searched for.

I have a 69 Camaro with a 1970 396 from a Chevelle in it. I currently have a automatic but I'm going to put in a Muncie 4 speed. The engine has a number of 3969854 on the back of the block near the firewall. Im probably going to get a M20 but I don't know what will fit the engine. Do I need to worry about spline count ? Is there a gear ratio I should avoid ? I know I will need bell/clutch/flywheel and all but is any of that dependant on what Muncie I get ?

The car will just be used once in a while on weekends. No racing.

Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime I will use the search and see what I come up with.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally gm put m20's in cars with rear gear ratios of 3.73 and higher, (numerically lower) such as 3.55 , 3.08 etc. All lower rear gear ratios got the m21 .Get the trans first and then get your clutch , pressure plate and throw out bearing to go with the transmissions spline count , should be 10 or 26 if i'm not mistaken in the 11 inch version and an 11 inch bell. Dont forget about the pilot bearing and get an original gm clutch fork for your car , they are still available. Some aftermarket ones will not work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts