Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase pre-made battery cables from MAD electrical to mount my battery in the trunk......

So, I have two choices....I can crawl under the car and measure them.....or, make it alittle easier....ask someone who has already done it......

I know lots of folks here have moved their battery, so someone should know how long each cable is........

I am going to order both a POS and NEG cable........

Thanks in advance

·
19,904 Posts
Off the top of my head :confused:

I think the + was 13'-15'
The - was about 18"

But, I did run the + to a cut-off switch, a Ford solenoid, and then to the starter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about making my own...but I want to make sure the terminals are installed good...I do not have a crimping tool for 1 guage terminals, and do not have a soldering iron big enough to heat them to solder them......

Considering the length of the Pos cable, and the potiential voltage drop, I just want to make sure the connections are as good as they can be....

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Off the top of my head :confused:

I think the + was 13'-15'
The - was about 18"

But, I did run the + to a cut-off switch, a Ford solenoid, and then to the starter.
You have a #$%! part in your Camaro? ;)

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
This is an easy method. I recommend attaching the bench vise to the bench, though.
This is exactly what I did. I made 5 or 6 cables like this. You just need a propane torch, some solder plugs, terminals and a heavy duty wire cutter.

It will be much cleaner than ending up with a foot or two of extra cable that you have to tuck somewhere.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am leaning towards the MAD electrical.....but man, it is sooooooo difficult to get in touch with him.....

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok....so I spoke to Mark at M.A.D. electrical.....REALLY knows his stuff about electrical systems.....

For general info: He no longer sells battery cable or terminals.

Recommends 1/0 AWG (welding or battery ) cable. He also pointed out that the terminals should be crimped on, and that will suffice; but if soldered on, crimp them first. If a short occurs, and the cable over heats, a solder connection could melt and then the cable comes loose.....and you have a live cable hanging fee.....If you crimp them first, even if a short occurs and solder melts, the connection is still good.

Also....He has not updated his website in a LONG time...prices listed have doubled!

His website states that he does not accept Credit cards for orders.....he does.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
the terminals should be crimped on, and that will suffice; but if soldered on, crimp them first. If a short occurs, and the cable over heats, a solder connection could melt and then the cable comes loose.....and you have a live cable hanging fee.....If you crimp them first, even if a short occurs and solder melts, the connection is still good.
I would think that having the solder melt and the wire come off would be a GOOD thing. If you have enough current flowing to melt the solder, you already need to have a fire extinguisher handy.

·
Super Moderator
32,608 Posts
Use copper terminals and you can rent the crimper at most local rental stores.
Use thick-walled shrink tubing, or a couple layers of thin-walled tubing - use a heat gun, not a lighter for a better melt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts