Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traced a battery drain to the red wire going into the voltage regulator that turns orange going on its way to the voltage regulator (when I disconnect it, it brings the amps from 2.5 to 0.). Given this, does anyone know where my problems would be? alternator? voltage regulator? both are fairly new so I am puzzled.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The alternator has a "diode tree" made of 9 diodes to rectify the AC field created by the alternator's windings. If one of the diodes gets leaky it will drain the battery. Depending on your alternator, you may be able to locate and test the diode tree. It is a little black chip about 3/4" X 1/4" with four legs oriented in a modified Y configuration. An auto parts store should be able to set your alternator up on a test bench and tell you for sure if the diodes are good if you don't want to tear into it yourself.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
could auto zone be wrong? My alt. rebuilder found bad diodes AFTER his first test showed it was ok. He always does a more complete check after the first 'bench, belt check'.
Id have it checked by someone that rebuilds them.

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
The only problem with Advance & AUtoZone machines, they don't have battery hook up to show the current draw when not running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts