Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the battery on my wifes volvo keeps draining. i even bought a new one two days ago thinking it was the battery. i can jump it and it will run off the alternator so i know its not the alternator. we drove it home and i plugged in a charger. when i first drove it in and before charging it, my multimeter read 11.23. after plugging in the charger at 12a/12v for an hour, it read about .79 so it drained the whole battery with the charger on. i checked all the lights to make sure they were off but even with the lights on, i would think that the battery woulndt drain that fast. what is the best/quickest/easiest way to track down where it is drawing power?

ok, when i check it with the meter with the pos and neg cables on, it reads about .25 while on the charger. when i disconnect the neg cable, i can watch it charge fairly quickly with the meter attached. any ideas anyone?

thanks,
angel

ps, my wife need the car to drive aournd our kids

[ 08-26-2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: angelglo ]

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Angel, I am no expert, but try disconnecting the negative cable and put your meter or test light in between the negative terminal of the battery and the body, if you get voltage, you have a circut draining the battery, if that is happening, pull one fuse at a time until the voltage is gone, that should be where the drain in comimg from...try a search on this subject for more info...I hope this helps...Mike

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Good luck Angel, I hope its something simple, As you know, Volvo parts aren't cheap...there like first gen camaros...Mike

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, just and update and more stress from those local parts stores. ive been trying to track down this parasitical(sp) draw that ive been having on my wifes volvo. it was the new batter that i bought from kragen. after buying a $$400.00 alternator and a $125.00 coil, i decided to check the battery. i unpluged the pos and negative and put a multimeter on the battery only. that thing went from 12.5 amps to .50 in a matter of minutes. i wasted 2 days tracking down all the electrical but stil couldnt find it. i guess i trusted the store and its product too much. oh well, that is another topic that i dont want to get into. lucky for me, i didnt install the altrernator or the coil. now i can get my money back.

angel

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Major bummer Angel,
My son did the same thing, He called me at work one day to say his battery light came on and before I could check out his truck, he went out and bought a battery at kragens,
He put it in and the truck wouldn't do anything...so I checked it with my hydrometer, and sure enough, it was dead as a doornail. so I put his old orginal battery back in, started the S10, checked the output voltage of the alt. I told him to take that new battery back for another one and while you are there, pick up a new altenator as well. (it was the alt)
I am not trying to bash Kragens but, just to make a point that just because it's new dosen't mean its good, no matter where you get your part at...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts