Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my battery exploded in my 95 Blazer. I am glad it did not happen to my Camaro, but what would have made a 2 year old battery explode?

I drove the truck, turned it off, 30 min later turned the key and boom. Nothing left but pieces.

Just don't know why it would have done that.

------------------
69 RS Convertible Camaro, 350/350. Orignal red with black top and interior. Hotchkis suspension.
http://www.ragersworld.com/

·
15,370 Posts
Hmmm... I don't have an answer for you man but I've got a '97 and that's not the only part that's gonna explode.

Seems I'm always fixing something on this pig. Changed my oil last night and noticed the serpentine belt tensioner is coming off!! Now I gotta replace that this afternoon before I hit the road for Cape Cod tonight!!

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Joe,
I've had both the gates and goodyear tensioners fail. In one case the only reason the tensioner puley didn't come all the way off was it hit the frame on a fwd GM car and the belt stayed on even though it was only about 1/3 of the way on the pulley.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got to tell you, I love GM cars but the S-10 Blazer's suck. I can't blame the exploding battery on GM but they are famous for the trans having to be rebuilt many times, the radiators get corroded and need replacing after 60,000 miles, the central fuel injection fails at around 100k ($400 part), and when I have less than 1/4 tank of gas and park down hill the car will not start unless I get back on level ground.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wife's 95' S-10 Blazer with OBD2 connector & OBD1 PCM

At 110K miles now, bought with 69K on it. So far catalytic converter came loose was rattling (see ya, no emmisions here), CFI went bad, EGR valve twice (warranteed second once < year old), radiator replaced (running hot on the interstate), water pump + idler + tensioner. Every plastic trim piece rattles going down the road, brakes really su*k even though they have been all replaced, ABS valve hung open dumping fluid back (no brake pedal) when I was driving my mother to the airport and had to stop hard. Luckily I was driving, not the wife. Pulled over thought I blew a line, no fluid anywhere, recycled the key and got the brakes back and made it to the airport. Has never again that was over six months ago.
Other than that a great vehicle

I will never buy another one, was thinking of getting her a new Trail Blazer but looked under the hood and have decided to wait. Looks like just a bigger version/mess!

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
My 96 CFSI injected S15 must be the exception to the rule, 164K on it only major item replaced was the Fuel pump at 103K, and the wheel bearings at 140K. Be prepared for some sticker shock on those. GM lists them at about $300 per side plus labor, your looking at close to a $1000 job there. Auto palace has Timken replacements for 99 bucks a side though and it only takes about an hour a side to do if you have a socket big enough to get the CV joint nut off.

My fuel pump was just out of warrantee and cost me $500 two and a half years ago.

Ball joints suck, I'm on my 4th set but since I bought lifetime warrantee ones there free except for my time.

Other than that and a water pump at about 80K it's been pretty good to me for the last 130K miles.

The belt tensioner has been redesigned so the bolt in the center won't wear its way through the cover anymore. Mine did that one night and the whole arm and pulley fell off. Lucky these cars have the cheap plastic rock sheilds underneath. I just collected the parts, put a bigger washer behind the bolt and put it back together, drove the thing another 500 miles by the end of the week. Went down to the dealer and got a new one for something like 25 bucks. 15 minute job to replace it.

I've got a whole new intake with all the sensors and injectors on it sitting in the garage for the day the fuel injectors fail, and two new waterpumps and a set of new heads I picked up off of Ebay. I picked up everything above the heads, intake, sensors, distributor water pump exhaust manifolds from a marine place in FL that buys brand crate motors and converts them for marine use. Everything is brand new, never even seen oil as far as I can tell and got the whole deal for $300. I figure its a good investment on the 400 or 500 it costs to replace the fuel injector system when it goes. I'm going to keep this thing running till the wheels literally fall off it.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Back to the battery.....When charging, the battery produces a flamable gas. If the cables were a little loose or corroded, it could have produced a spark when you started the car, which ignited the vapors from the battery. This is why, when using jumper cables, they tell you to make the last hook up at the engine block for the negative and not at the battery post. Luckily no one was hurt. I know a fellow who lost an eye to an exploding battery.

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
I've had one explode while I was working on it. Trying to be a nice guy and help someone out, told them to try starting it and boom! nasty. couldn't hear for about an hour. danged lucky that's all that happened.

I think a contributing factor was the battery was low on fluid, this allowed hydrogen to build up in the empty top space. One spark and you have a bomb.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Let me guess, an interstate right? Every interstate battery I've had turned to be junk. I don't know if its my bad luck or the actual manufacturing. Ever since I've been in the AC Delco camp.

68 RS, 327/275, M20.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baby68RS:
Let me guess, an interstate right? Every interstate battery I've had turned to be junk. I don't know if its my bad luck or the actual manufacturing. Ever since I've been in the AC Delco camp.

68 RS, 327/275, M20.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baby68RS,
You are exactly right. It was an interstate battery.
I bought the car from Carmax (used) they prep the cars for resale and put cheap interstate batteries back in. I will never buy one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts