Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
19,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a problem for some time now. Battery charges fine and no electrical shorts, all grounded properly < I think >.Seems like the battery is over charging < 3 different batteries tried > , but checked with a volt meter at idle and shows 14 (+/-3).After a ride to the local hang out, the battery "hisses" from the caps, and is wet. Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
32,429 Posts
If ext regulator equipped, one should do a regulator check & adjustment. As a battery warms up, it takes less voltage to charge it. By taking a temp reading of the electrolyte, this will determine the charge voltage needed. Take a temperature reading of the reg also will help adjust the charging voltage. This reg temp reading is valuable in setting the charge voltage.

I believe at operating temp, battery charging voltage should be around 13.8-14.0 volts. The reg may be set too high. One can always remove the regulator cover and make the appropriate adjust for voltage, i.e., lengthen the spring = higher voltage. Don't take very long in adjusting voltage, temperatur will drop and get an incorrect reading. Give it time to settle out.

·
19,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I'm over charging I would need to shorten the spring? Digital volt meter shows 14 (+/-.3).
This is a "stock replacement" Alt. ,and I'm sure over 30+ years the regulator has been changed. Maybe its time to upgrade to an internal reg. Alt. ?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Doug G, had the same problem with my friends 68. It would charge at 14volts at idle but would go to 16v+ when you increase the engine rpm. Try accelerating it with the volt meter hooked up. I replaced his external voltage regulator and now its fine. A defective battery could also cause a batt boil over/overheat but since you tried 3 others its probably not that.Ray

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Doug, a good battery will regulate the system voltage, so the regulator could be over charging and still show a decent system voltage.

-dnult

·
19,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will check

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also check the junction block on the radiator support. I had the same problem, fried three batteries, and had to replace the regulator. But the junction block was also completely melted, so check to make sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts