Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have 4 batteries connected to Battery Tenders and have never had any issues with them, been doing this for 6 or 7 years ...

I noticed a couple days back one of the batteries dropped down under 90% for no apparent reason and today it was down under 3 volts.

Pulled the battery and hooked it up to my charger and it charged right up, but then as soon as I took it off of the charger, the volts dropped extremely, extremely fast ...

So, looks like I either have a bad battery or a bad battery tender ...

How long have you guys gotten out of your batteries when on a tender?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sounds like a battery with an internal short. It's a common way to fail. I replaced a 6 y/o battery this summer that spent most of it's like on a tender. It still tested fine, but 6 years is a good run.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I just replaced a six year old battery that was connected to a Battery Tender during down time. The tender would charge the battery, but would never go from the yellow "charging'' light to the green "charged" light. It never did that in the past,so I had the battery tested. The battery would charge and showed 13.5 volts but the cranking amps were only 215 when it was supposed to be 700. It was also pretty obvious that something was up because the starter was struggling to turn the motor over. Sounds like you have a bad battery.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
Sulfided, I believe, and the way to remove is get the battery hot by either heavy use or heavy recharge - get the electrolyte boiling.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Wish my battery tender would've lasted 7 years. I've tried 2. One made it about 3 or 4 months, then bricked. Thought I got a dud, so tried again. That one lasted even less.:angry:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Wish my battery tender would've lasted 7 years. I've tried 2. One made it about 3 or 4 months, then bricked. Thought I got a dud, so tried again. That one lasted even less.:angry:
That happened to my dad, he sent it to Battery tender, they tested it and sent him another one free of charge. This ones going on a little over a year.

I use a Ctec 7200. It will flash a trouble code when it suspends charging and the voltage drops too fast. It also has a desulfation mode, an AGM mode and, maintains 4 90 amp batteries on my Peterbilt tractor. Very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Ctec. I may have to give them a try. I would love to be able to send my battery tenders back, but shipping both ways would basically cost more than the whole unit was new, so unfortunately that's not an option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts