Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Optima Yellow Top battery less than 3 months old and I keep losing all charge. I haven't been driving my car much, if at all, over that 3 months. I have a new starter and I've had my alternator tested.

Do I have a bad battery or is there something that's sapping current from the battery even though everything is off?

Or is this 'normal' for a Yellow Top when not used regularly?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Not Normal, charge it up and pull a battery terminal and see if it holds a charge then. I'd guess you have a drain though.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
Then, after you charge it and find it does hold a charge, insert between a battery cable and battery post, a test light.
The test light will glow/shine if current is being drawn, however slight of current.
If lit, pull fuses one by one to find the faulty circuit.
If a stereo amplifier has been added, might disconnect any add-on electronics one-by-one and check light.

The problem can also be the too low of recharge once started.
Typically, with external regulated alternators, 2000 rpm may produce 14 volts across battery posts. As electrical devices are turned on, more power comes fromt he battery than the alternator, hence, battery may not get recharged enough even though the alt checks out fine. Just the way it is.

If all the above is okay, you might invest in a battery tender or trickle charger and hook it up when the Camaro is sitting.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses... I've tried to charge the battery (completely disconnected) twice on my Diehard trickle charger... Both times the trickle charger flashes to "Check Battery" instead of "Charged". I'm thinking this may be a combination of bad battery and maybe a drain. Am I on the right track?

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
Right track, yes. You might try an AGM charger, Harbor Freight has one for around $40, has an AGM position, or add a regular battery in parallel to the charger and later return to remove the reg battery to let the AGM charge. Have a daliy driver you can swap batteries?
Otherwise, after the charger 'charges', what is the charged voltage? Should be no less than 12.5 volts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts